How do i generate randomly generated strings

Yeah as the title says, i dont have a clue how i’d get around doing this, i want to gen random strings to name items in my game to help make it more anti-exploitable

3 Likes

If I were you, I’d put each alphabet in a table and use random

You shouldn’t name your items randomly. How will you, as the developer, access these items when they will have random names?

2 Likes

@NastyFeat Thank you ill give this a go

@sjr04 They all have scripts that are local to each button, dont worry ive thought about this.

You shouldn’t do security through obscurity. This gives a false sense of security. What about your game is being exploited that you need to unnecessarily obfuscate names?

I think you should focus on a better client–server model rather than putting a band-aid over current issues.

4 Likes

Its a button pressing game. Somebody has created a script that teleports you to all the buttons in a fast loop and the script is all over v3rm so the exploit is widely available.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to prevent exploiters by naming things differently. They will find a way around this. It would be wise to look into ways to make your code bullet proof by having the server check and validate requests made by clients.

Anyways, random letters…

local random = Random.new()
local letters = {'a','b','c','d','e','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','o','p','q','r','s','t','u','v','w','x','y','z'}

function getRandomLetter()
	return letters[random:NextInteger(1,#letters)]
end

function getRandomString(length, includeCapitals)
	local length = length or 10
	local str = ''
	for i=1,length do
		local randomLetter = getRandomLetter()
		if includeCapitals and random:NextNumber() > .5 then
			randomLetter = string.upper(randomLetter)
		end
		str = str .. randomLetter
	end
	return str
end

print(getRandomString(7, true))
20 Likes

How will i name every button?
I attempted this but obviously it will not work

for i,v in pairs(game.Workspace:GetChildren()) do
	if v:FindFirstChild("Cost") then --Checks if its a button
		v.Name = getRandomString(10,true) --Randomly generates a name
	end
end

Again, I don’t think that this is a valid solution to your problems.

function checkNameChange(obj)
	if obj and obj.Parent then
		if obj.Name == 'Cost' then
			obj.Name = getRandomString(10, true) -- Randomly generates a name
		end
	end
end

-- Check all existing objects
for _,obj in pairs(workspace:GetDescendants()) do
	checkNameChange(obj)
end
-- Check all objects that get created later
workspace.DescendantAdded:connect(checkNameChange)

Edit: I just noticed that you want to change the name of objects with a “Cost” tag under them, not change the name of the cost tags themselves. You can adjust the obj.Name = X to obj.Parent.Name = X

A lot of the responses of this thread seem to be unnecessary unless you’re looking for a very specific kind of random string. Your best bet is to use the HttpService’s GenerateGUID function in order to generate a random string to use for whatever purpose you may need it for. It works as seen below:

local HttpService = game:GetService("HttpService")
local RandomString = HttpService:GenerateGUID(false)

An example of what this function will return is “db454790-7563-44ed-ab4b-397ff5df737b”. The boolean parameter is whether to add curly braces around the string or not.

10 Likes

You don’t need a table for this, you can just use string.char. Quick example of its usage:

local min, max, final = ("a"):byte(), ("z"):byte(), ""

for i = 1, whatever do
	final ..= string.char(math.random(min, max))
end

Basically, it just turns an ASCII number into its respective character. Its counterpart (string.byte) does the opposite; it turns a character into its ASCII number.

20 Likes

Why just why make it so complicated, use a for loop and a table of letters like bro…

Your solution to this exploit script is not to rename scripts. Your solution should be creating an anticheat to counter all teleport/walkspeed scripts. You can do this by every heartbeat checking their current position while also their previous heartbeat position and seeing if they made too much distance.

1 Like

Lol this is over a year old bro

2 Likes

very late on this, but here. I made this script a while ago to random gen a line of string then send it via a discord webhook.

local HttpService = game:GetService("HttpService")
local DISCORD_WEBHOOK_URL = ""

local symbols = {"!", "@", "#", "$", "%", "^", "&", "*", "(", ")", "-", "_", "+", "=", "{", "}", "[", "]", ";", ":", "'", "\"", ",", "<", ">", ".", "/", "?", "`", "~"}
local letters = {"a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j", "k", "l", "m", "n", "o", "p", "q", "r", "s", "t", "u", "v", "w", "x", "y", "z", "A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z"}
local numbers = {"0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9"}

local function generateCode(length)
	local code = ""
	for i = 1, length do
		local randomIndex = math.random(1, 3)
		if randomIndex == 1 then
			code = code .. symbols[math.random(1, #symbols)]
		elseif randomIndex == 2 then
			code = code .. letters[math.random(1, #letters)]
		else
			code = code .. numbers[math.random(1, #numbers)]
		end
	end
	return code
end

local code = generateCode(12)
print("Generated code: " .. code)

local generatedText = script.Parent
generatedText.Text = code

local postData = HttpService:JSONEncode({content = "New code generated: " .. code })
local success, result = pcall(function()
	HttpService:PostAsync(DISCORD_WEBHOOK_URL, postData)
end)

if not success then
	warn("HttpService request failed: " .. tostring(result))
end
2 Likes