How do I get other developers to invest in a project idea?

Hi. I used to build, and that’s all I currently know how to do. But I want to make a full game because I get excellent ideas, but I would need help from other devs. I don’t have many friends who develop, and I don’t know where to go to find a team. I have had this game idea forever and don’t know the first step into making it. Is it even possible to hire devs with an idea and nothing else? or will I need certain information about a project for others to be interested. I get that I have to pay and like time management, but it is an anime game that many people don’t like or play or even know how to develop. I currently don’t have a template or base for developers, just the ideas on all the details.

What I am asking is, am I ready for a team? Am I unprepared and asking too much with nothing but an idea?
Would I need to prove that this idea is worth working for through a game demo or some type of game trailer to hire devs?

I thought my idea through, and I am confident, and I think if others heard it, they would want to help, but still, I fear certain devs wouldn’t just go off an idea and would like more evidence or something to work off already. Or want to visually see it.

Even if my idea is good enough to get potential devs on my team, where would I find devs and how would I find hires?

I don’t know if this is asking for too much but I want long term devs. Like continuously working on the same project over a long period of time.
i feel like this doesnt make anysense but I need help. Oh and if you wanna see about my idea my disco is Lizzie#0926

5 Likes

Change this to #development-discussion or #help-and-feedback:game-design-support depending on what you think fits, because this is not the right category.

4 Likes

Use talent.roblox.com to hire enough folks to form an all-encompassing team for whatever the game needs. If you are just the “ideas person” in the team and have only abstract contribution to the project, you may be sacrificing almost all your % stake in the game (unless you’re paying them out rather than %, though I wouldn’t advise this as all games need maintenance and updating post-release). Since you’ve no track record or demo of the game you’d be appealing to a smaller market of developers that are looking to take grand risk on a mere idea, which will largely limit you to onboarding amateurs with questionable dedication imo.

The best idea I’d recommend is learning at least one of the talents necessary to get the game going and work on it. Get a friend or several interested in picking at it for fun, let it slowly creep towards a playable demonstration, then invest in getting a competent team together to finish it. Spend time planning out the talents you need and determine what you’d be willing to cut a % stake for, it’s always best to have these numbers in mind so you don’t run into an issue where you’ve, say, given 50% stake to a scripter, and now the builders, artists, manager, promoter… etc all want a fair share.

3 Likes

Ideas person is aka the bank, which means you’re not going to be giving people shares of what they made, but you’ll be paying in USD.

2 Likes

There’s a few options here:

• If you’re perfectly confident AND you’re not an idea person but an insanely talented modeler, you can give away a high amount of shares to attract other DEVs.

• If you’re perfectly confident BUT you’re more of an idea person, then you can “hire” a team by organizing everyone’s tasks and roles and playing them hourly or per creation with instant robux or USD.

1 Like

It’s plausible to find a large team to take over your idea if your idea is juicy. By sacrificing a lot, I’m talking like giving up >=90% of shares, which would be fair if the ideas person doesn’t have the capital to pay them directly. Kinda a unicorn situation but it may be what OP is planning

Idea person doesn’t deserves any shares, if any then maybe less than 5%. Especially those who just drew a few bland sketches. Personally, when I design my games it’s obligatory for me to write and draw at least 40 pages so I can be more clear of my idea and so my cooperators aka hired people can understand.
No skills = Use money
No money = Work hard
No skills no money = Wat :sad:

3 Likes

For me i got idea by explore something interesting in real life and make it new idea for create something new
About game i choose simple and modern because i like clean UI and gameplay style
No skill no money but If you keep learn something about it. You will be better at this.

As @MP3Face said, you can use talent.roblox.com to find devs to make your game idea a reality. Now, I have no experience with getting a long term development team together, but me and my friends had made a game together, so here are my suggestions as to what to do to get a potential long term development team.

1. Can a development team and yourself enjoy developing the game? It is important for those people that you can hire to enjoy developing the game, because without enjoyment for the game, there is little to no determination and dedication. If your development team are developing the game but doesn’t have interest in the game concept whatsoever, it is almost like forcing yourself to eat 10 pieces of cardboard.

2. Do you know what you are doing with your game idea? When I mean “what you are doing with your game idea”, I mean you have a game concept, but you don’t know what the minor details of the game are (different types of game mechanics and how they function, different areas and what the purpose of them are, etc). If you don’t know what you are doing with your game idea, then should probably plan it over.

Because you are looking for long term devs, you should take more into consideration than what I have listed, because these are people who you are going to be working with for a long time. But with all that said, I hope this helps!

3 Likes