How do I get started being a developer?

I have a year of scripting experience and a year and a half of GFX experience, and just recently got into GUI. I know how to make a game but I don’t have any ideas that will make me robux, I need robux to start making actual good games and to hire people, so what I’m looking for right now is any suggestions on how I should go about making a lot of robux quickly or over time while also not appearing as a scummy cash grab developer, I want to make good games like phantom forces and jail break but I don’t have the money nor the time and labor to make one of those great games. I was thinking of maybe just making a hotel or cafe game but I wouldn’t even know where to start.

3 Likes

Start doing commissions if you think your ready enough .

3 Likes

What people don’t tell is that it is nearly impossible to start with 0 Robux, and then grow into a successful developer.

You are going to have to buy some Robux, because that is just the reality. Then, instead of hiring, begin development on a game yourself and make a small fan base, using some Robux. If you earn enough, you could consider hiring to make larger games, or just stay small as a solo developer.

5 Likes

start by making friends with developers and group owners in the roblox community. once you get to know them, they might ask you to do a simple project for them since you are friends. you can make some robux, add that project to your portfolio, and keep that going.

also, just making cool scripts and sharing them with your friends are fun too! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is possible, I started with absolutely nothing. The best way to gather some sort of revenue will be to setup a professional portfolio and keep adding to it over time to the point where it’s good enough that people would want to hire you. Once you get to this point you can just grind out commissions until you have a solid amount of robux to advertise a personal game.

6 Likes

I wasn’t saying it isn’t possible. I was saying that it is hard to do it without going down the hiring path (I’ve had bad experiences with hiring, so I personally am not going to try that again.

1 Like

I strongly disagree.

You can do practice and other stuff to work up your skill, and like @alphajpeg , I too started with nothing. Once you have enough practice done you can start creating your portfolio and add on to it and grow it over time until people think your work is good and get robux from it.

This can help get audio+badges for your in-progress game, until your ready to launch it. It’s possible with enough effort, and I just disagree with this mindset.

It’s not nearly impossible, only nearly impossible to those who believe it is.

3 Likes

Like I said, this is coming from a person who has not had good experiences every time I’ve been told I’d be paid for work. Assuming that you are not using a hiring method, yeah, it is pretty hard to start from nothing.

1 Like

I agree, one of my favorite parts about knowing how to script is showing my scripts off and just problem solving in general.

1 Like

Hello Developer,

Thanks for reaching out to Developer Forums for this matter, as this can also help other people in starting off as a developer.

I would recommend you to read my post about how to start off creating games on Roblox.

Collecting Ideas - The steps of developing a game - Resources / Community Tutorials - DevForum | Roblox

If you have, please consider leaving a reply here if you think that you need a little bit more advice on this matter, and specify what exactly you still need help with.

Thank you, and happy creating!

Sincerely,
CrashFacts

1 Like