How do I import a model with transparent textures?

I’m trying to import a transparent plane of leaves from Blender to Roblox Studio

I know how to achieve the same ends using SurfaceAppearance but that feels like I’m cheating around a valuable skill I want to know, and I’m concerned about performance issues with many SurfaceAppearance instances when I want this game to work on low-end devices

I basically want to do what was mentioned here but Im unsure what that means or how to achieve it, and I’ve tried following various tutorials but none have worked

In blender:

When I import it to studio using Asset Manager the background is black instead of being transparent:

I export it with these settings:

How can I import it to Roblox using the transparent material I set up in Blender? Is it possible to do this without using SurfaceAppearance, or otherwise in a way that’s most optimized for a mesh that’s going to be reused frequently?

Hey @Soulsplosion !

Just a quick thing about Surface Appearances- Alphas aren’t yet supported by ROBLOX. To use a Surface Appearance you have to make sure you use a Normal Map, Color Map, Roughness and Metallic (should it be applicable). Surface Appearances only work on Meshes, but for it to work, you’re going to need to make the mesh in the shape of the texture. OR you could set transparency to the mesh by 0.02 which should get rid of the black and make it a transparent plane. I personally wouldn’t recommend using Surface Appearance for anything that doesn’t have a NormalMap- otherwise it’s just useless and requires more memory in a game.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank u,
I know how to use Surface Appearance to get the transparent appearance I want and have been doing it like so. But for the sake of performance I would much rather know how to export the transparent mesh from Blender without having to use surface appearance or similar instances in studio, which seems to be possible from what I’ve seen but I’ve only found sources that talk about using SurfaceAppearance

1 Like

Try exporting a wireframe? It could work for your aspect- I’m unsure if ROBLOX supports wireframes though- worth a try!

Go to MeshPart Property > TextureID
Place the texture image there
Change MeshPart transparency to 0.1

This is how we do it before SurfaceAppearance

1 Like

Whoa, that works, thank you! :slight_smile:

It makes the leaves partially transparent too; it’d be nice if there’s a way to avoid that but this method works regardless. Looking at other tree models I think this is what I was looking for

That’s the downside of this method. If you don’t want the partial transparency, use SurfaceAppearance instead. It’s up to you on what method to use. Choose what’s best for your game. Happy Building!

1 Like

Could you please explain how I could do this method to export this effect texture?

Because it’d be a huge disappointment if I can’t use it.