"How do I learn how to Script / Build / X?" Stickies

A not-insignificant portion of posts, especially in the #help-and-feedback:scripting-support subcategory, are questions about how best to learn scripting.

The answers, whilst often helpful and illuminating, are conflicting and it’s a common question that is receiving many inconsistent answers. This leads to a form of paradox - people want to figure out how to script, so they search, don’t find a “conclusive” answer, and so post another thread.

My proposal is that we introduce a sticky in each support subcategory about getting started with Lua, Building, Game Design, or whatever the relevant topic. The topic could be authored by a Sage or Champion experienced in this area, pointing users to the Developer Hub and perhaps some answers to FAQs not covered there.

This would be very helpful to beginning users, and hopefully reduce a bit of the clutter and conflicting opinions going around this matter. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Elttob made a post called: Add WNTS to Platform Feedback

By sticky, do you mean a pinned topic?

(I was writing this already and I didn’t want to waste it)

I was thinking a similar idea to Elttob’s: a pinned topic of FAQs on each #help-and-feedback category. There are far too many questions on “where do I learn to [insert development role here]”, and plus that is a very broad topic anyways. Almost all questions can be answered in the developer hub.

I can agree on this a lot. I think I have been seeing at least a post a day about these types of questions. I don’t think people properly try to search for an answer online or for some reason feel the urge to always post something in the forum when they have a question. Even the forum alone has a lot of posts that can help answer these questions, I just don’t quite understand why people always “have” to make a post.

As for the sticky idea, I do love it and can see this becoming helpful for beginning users.