How do I make 3d fractals in Roblox without lag?

Well that’s sad. And I agree too, limitations in Roblox is really kind of annoying when it comes to this. Thanks anyways. I’ll just wait for other replies.

Update :

So I tried using meshes and it decently reduced the lag but It’s still very buggy.

Have you tried caching the parts and hiding parts you can’t see? E.g. with a system like PartCache
This avoids cloning lag

No but I might try that actually.

How do I do that exactly? Raycasting?

You could also try implementing some sort of greedy meshing if blocks are going to be attached to each other.

Well I guess it works but how about making the fractals? Like generating them and not building them hand by hand.

The concept is basic, but the module PartCache exists to simplify it. Essentially, you make a ton of clones beforehand. When you want to place a new clone, you take one from your pool and modify the cframe to be in the right place. When you want to destroy it, you actually just set the CFrame to somewhere out of sight. Very efficient.

Alright I’ll also try to understand it.

I have a question though, can this make like infinite dimensions or structures without lag?

This is impossible on Roblox there is way too much geometry in these images. You could try raymarching, but it will lag since you need thousands of frames to draw the screen.

Try looking into these:

2 Likes

Okay the second one looks absolutely amazing, how did he do this though?

It’s open source and public on his GitHub repo.

When I played the .rbxl file it only crashed my game. So I guess it is very laggy.

When Roblox is asking us for what feature do we want on Studio I guess I’ll request for a thing that makes us customize the Roblox camera rendering types for more amazing things.

There are a lot of interesting visual stuff that we simply cannot do in Roblox and it’s quite annoying. I would love if Roblox gave us direct access with render/graphics API. But equally as much, Roblox needs to add meshing API so that we may generate custom meshes via scripts. Many of my more advanced projects would immensely improve with a feature like that. It would also allow for unique visuals in of itself.

I do agree, like fractal games to me are very cool in every way. Just an infinite pattern going in all directions, things spinning and stuff.

Roblox really needs to give us direct access, but there can also be some flaws with that. Like More hacking games. But Unity fixes this system by making everything start from scratch. So a starter place from scratch with no camera settings, movement settings, and premade stuff can just be made for us from scratch. Roblox would have more better games if this were the thing to be honest.

I’m not really sure what you mean by “hacking games”. But it does make sense why Roblox started off this way. It’s much easier for developers, especially kids, to use pre-made instance objects that automatically do stuff for them without any code. I definitely think things like that are still needed and useful, but I also hope that Roblox starts allowing developers to expand. Instead of having to wait for Roblox to add some feature we’d like, we could create it ourselves. I think that’s the goal that Roblox should be working towards.

Oh and the ability to detect a pixel color on screen as well as in an image (the image variant would allow for detecting transparent pixels), but that’s something else anyway.

Hacking games as in games that hack your account.

But like Roblox really needs another starter place that starts everything from scratch. Without premade scripts. They can keep the Baseplate but they really need to make something else like that. With this you can achieve such amazing things like some Unity games like :

• Hyperbolica
  • Marble Marcher
  • Fractal Collecter
  • Geographical Adventures

Those 4 are so good and unique with their original code. So having an extra starter place would be really good for some advanced devs.

That’s not really a thing. The most anyone could do is make an account phishing game, but that’s already plenty possible.

Both baseplate starter places are completely script free by default, so I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that either.

Once you spawn in a game there are some premade scripts in StarterPlayerScripts and also some unaccessible inside the game client.

How you can see this is make a Roblox game and click play, then click StarterPlayerScripts and you can see the premade scripts there. And the camera scripts are inside the game files itself. The controlling part of the camera is located within’ those Module Scripts.