How do I make a part unaffected by light?

The title says it all. I want to make a MeshPart that is not influenced by light. These are the methods I’ve seen, but none of them work.

1. Use a SurfaceGui with no light influence. This would work great for a brick, but any other shape doesn’t work.

2. Make a part Neon and use Bloom settings to remove the glow around it. This works for parts, however I want to use this for a textured MeshPart. It also messes up exists Neon parts which I do want more glow.

3. Use a ViewportFrame. There are three issues with this, being:

• ViewportFrames overlay on the screen, so parts hidden behind walls have xray from the ViewportFrame.
  • This MeshPart will be related to the player’s character, so moving around a Humanoid model in the Workspace as well as a ViewportFrame will be janky.
  • Because a (somewhat) complex character model will be rendered in a Viewport, it causes terrible performance and is honestly quite impractical, as the game has to render a character twice.
  1. Edit Normal Data in Blender. This is probably the closest method I’ve seen so far. It involves making a mesh’s normals copy a plane, so all the lighting is in the same direction. When it works, it works great, However if the parts are rotated, they will darken, and with an animated character, parts will be moving often, leaving dark parts.

Does anyone know of any other methods to making a (Mesh)Part immune to lighting?

Im assuming you want a little something more than cast Shadow being turned off…

Have you tried making the neon darker? Instead of bloomless. If you use a darker color the glow disappears. (I don’t think this helps with the texture tho)

I should have been more clear. This will be a textured MeshPart, so I can’t just set the material to Neon for it to glow.

1 Like

If you just want light to not affect your mesh’s color you can just use a surface appearance with a white image on the roughness.

However, I’m assuming you elaborated your post wrong and want a flat shader to get the anime look or something similar. If that’s the case then I think the only solution is using editable images and editable meshes together with a lot of programming, I have no idea how to do this, you’ll probably have to play around with the vertices normals, etc. If that’s the case I’m sorry, I can’t really help you.

Yes, sorry for not making that clear. I was going for that flat shading look.

Sucks to hear there’s no good method at the moment. Thanks for the reply!

The only method that will exist for a while will be coding unless Roblox adds some built-in shaders, which I doubt. I suggest you try coding it, probably can search other engines’ stuff and try to convert, editable images and meshes are really cool and seem to be working fine.

1 Like