How do I make a part "welded" to a character but make it rotate without the character rotating?

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!

I am making a character and want to have the SpawnLocation decal spin around it.

1. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!

I tried it and the whole character started spinning.

1. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?

I searched everywhere but couldn’t find help, I apologize if I missed a post.

After that, you should include more details if you have any. Try to make your topic as descriptive as possible, so that it’s easier for people to help you!

-- This is an example Lua code block

Please do not ask people to write entire scripts or design entire systems for you. If you can’t answer the three questions above, you should probably pick a different category.

1 Like

I suggest you look into Motor6D. It functions like a weld, but you additionally get to modify the CFrame using the following:

2 Likes

Hello There, I found a way to make it spin, however the character is spinning instead of the Part i want to spin.

1 Like

I just realized that you could probably use something else called HingeConstraint, here’s a demonstration:

And the structure:

And the properties of the HingeConstraint:

2 Likes

Make sure the part you have spinning has the Massless Property checked true.
Any item with mass attached to a Humanoid could throw off its physics.

You can also just use a Weld (not a WeldConstraint) and change the WeldC0 or WeldC1 rotation to make it rotate.

Try searching the forums for terms like “spinning pets” or “following pets”. It’s not an exact same case scenario, but there’s a lot of similarities with them.

1 Like

Hello, I have followed these instructions, but for some reason the hingeconstraint won’t activate. I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Are you able to share the .rbxl file?

Make sure the attached part is Massless as @Scottifly mentioned, and also make sure that the Anchored property is set to false.

I have done this, it could be the fact that I have the image be horizontal (and completely flat) instead of vertical. I am unable to access my computer right now so I would appreciate if you could fact check this.

Hello there, I just realized that silly me forgot to change the actuatortype. However, the hingeconstraint is now working but showing as inactive. Really strange.