How do I make a player ride on a spinner?

So, I’m trying to make a multi-part spinner for my game, but the player isn’t staying on top. Here’s what it looks like. Basicly, the 2 parts spin around in a circle
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.15.12 PM

Here’s what the explorer looks like.
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.15.42 PM
Ignore the speed NumberValue. The Center is an invisible block in the middle that has the hinge constraint and is a motor which is what’s used to spin the parts. Its attachments are the ones in Center and Welder. The Welder part is also in the middle and invisible. Both of the Part blocks are the ones that you can see, and they both have WeldConstraints to make them spin around the Welder.

So with all of that, the player doesn’t ride on top of the parts. I tried looking on some other sources and they all said using constraints would fix it, but what I did with constraints doesn’t seem to be working. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Did you adjust the properties of the HingeConstraint (AngularVelocity, MotorMaxTorque, ActuatorType, etc.)?

Yes. The AngularType is Motor, the MotorMaxTorque is 1,000,000, and the AngularVelocity is 2. It spins fine, it’s just that the player can’t ride on it.

I was able to create a rideable spinner in Studio with the following properties:

Radius: 0.15
ActuatorType: Motor
AngularVelocity: 2
MotorMaxAcceleration: inf
MotorMaxTorque: 999999

The MotorMaxAcceleration says inf.

Sooo, try lowering it.
If you jumped on a ‘spinner’ with max acceleration would you stay on it?
What’s the Friction of the Parts you stand on?

The friction was .3, which was the default. I tried raising it to 2 which is the maximum, but that didn’t work.

Looking at it, you’ve got a spinner spinning around another spinner?
That may make for some interesting physics issues.
I’d say put seats on the spinner or weld players to it, but that’s probably not what you want to hear.

I agree with @Scottifly.
Changing the friction on the parts helps to grip better, but still not good if you pretend that the player stays on it conmfy. Its more like, the player should fight to keep standing on the spinner. Use welds or seats.
What about a Weld on the HumanoidRootPart that gets enabled and disabled on touch/collision with the spinner, and disabled when player jumps? Would be unable to move, until player jumps, and activated again on colliding with the spinner again

So randomly I’ve been trying to fix it, and what ended up working was searching up “Brick” in the toolbox, adding that into the game, and using that for the spinner. All the properties were the same as the bricks that I was using, and it seems like old parts have different physics than the new ones, since the one I found was made in 2013. Is that how physics are supposed to be, or should I write about it in Engine Bugs?

1 Like