How do I make decals shine / visible at Night Time?

Hey Developers! :wave:

I am working on a roleplay game, and I’ve stumbled on an issue. I’ve created a Variable Message Sign, using decals. These are perfectly visible at daytime, and are very realistic.

After moving my VMS to a dark point (placement is temporary), and turning on nighttime, the decal is BARELY visible… When it’s supposed to be the exact opposite. Below I attach example screenshots:

[Close Up View: Somewhat visible under a “bridge”]

[Distant View: Even more difficult to notice!]

I’ve tried looking around, but nothing so far. I’ve seen games pull this, and I really wish to know how to do it myself. Any help very appreciated!

3 Likes

You could try adding a light source, or using ui.

2 Likes

A light source would seem like a good idea, but it would impact performance a lot, and roblox light sources aren’t the most reliable, talking from experience. (Light beam issues, brightness issues, not displaying at all etc.)

By UI, I’d suppose you mean SurfaceGUI items, which might be a solution, which I’ll give a try to, but it’s not exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you, I’ll try the GUI and get back to you! :heart_hands:

1 Like

You can make that decal shine by using an ImageLabel instead within a SurfaceGUI and increasing the brightness of the SurfaceGUI, but make sure SurfaceGUI LightInfluence is set to 0.

2 Likes

Perhaps this would help:

2 Likes

This seems very interesting, but it’s an unreliable method because it’s based off a “bug”, and could very much be fixed in the future, requiring me to do urgent fixes. I think I’ll use SurfaceGUIs, as they are more reliable, and will help me achieve what I need!

This is a very neat trick though, I’ll admit!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.