How do i make my horror game map feel less Empty

So, i’ve been working on my game inspired by “FNAF”, “The Joy Of Creation” and “The Rake Remastered”, But i’ve ran into an issue where i don’t know how to make my map feel less empty. I tried Adding Wood, Garbage on a floor, Pipes, but it didn’t made it up.

Ignore The Lighting btw

8 Likes

Deeper atmospherically fog will add horror aspects - add that flashlight mechanic coming from the head following the mouse.

Look for more complexity in the structure, and add more actual props.

3 Likes

I feel like some more decorations around the walls would fill it up! Things like posters, old vines, dressers, or really any type of storage compartment.

4 Likes

i already have all of that Added

1 Like

hmmm yea, i could add that thanks

What about if you put rusty furniture on ground or broken chairs, broken benches and lot junk.

1 Like

You should add some furniture, like desks, maybe garbage, hanging wires, also wires in the floor, add vents too, that’s my advice

1 Like

My first thought was imagine it if it were running normally one day and they all had to up and leave: What would be left over from people doing their jobs and had to stop at the drop of a hat?

I think there’d be carts, boxes, maybe cleaning supplies. If you’re gonna keep the pipes I think making them an actual system that makes sense would be nice (i.e having them connect and converge in certain places or having vents for air).

I think that if it’s inspired by FNAF then having posters of whatever product you’re selling up on the wall would be good. Having rooms that were once used: Cleaning, meetings, parts & services, manager’s office.

Think of what you see when you’re in these places, or what happens in the back behind the curtains. Chairs strewn around because they had to take them out for a large party and put them back but were interrupted while moving them to storage, frozen food (now not frozen) on a cart that was supposed to go to the kitchen (If we’re going with the pizzeria idea from FNAF).

TL;DR - Imagine a real place, what would it have looked like in operation? What would people have been doing?

Hope this helped, good luck! :doh:

3 Likes

If you are trying to make a construction site or some kind of run down alleyway, try adding metal H beams as pillars on the sides of the wall, for this kind of lighting, you should try using a dark red color for the beams since it will contrast well with the blue lighting.

Giving the walls more depth + adding more detail to the ceiling will help a lot & shadows are really important in making a space have more depth, so add props that will cast shadows

i said to ignore the lighting but alright

Might not be ideal, but the walls are too straight, I’d make a custom mesh that is mostly straight but has some minor bends, rundown buildings will mostly not have straight walls from being worn down.