How do I stop my game's server from dispersing players into multiple servers?

My game lives off a philosophy of a few large servers. The maximum player count is 13, preferred is 10 But for some reason, the game keeps distributing players to new servers. Each server usually 1-5 players at most. How do I stop this? I am losing massive amounts of game traffic as a result

Check the “Preferred Player Count” in the access section of Configure Place, maybe you have that set to a lower amount.

1 Like

Preferred count is 10

Put it in your OP to specify for other users. (Which I see you have done)
Are you sure the servers didn’t reach the preferred count, and then put users into new servers, which in turn users will leave and result in the servers appearing smaller then they once were?

Yes, I am sure about that, because I often stay in the only server and players just end up joining other servers instead of mine. My game is far more enjoyable with more players in a server, so as a result my retention and traffic dropped a lot.

Hey!

You have a number of solutions to this.
This is probably because, when all servers are full in your game, and two people join at once, obviously two new servers will be created which causes the issue you’re having.

First of all, I’d recommend setting the Preferred Count to 13. That will generally mean that servers fill up (find out more about how that all works here)

Second of all, you can introduce a Technical Solution here.
Roblox has a JSON API that allows you to query the players in each server through this API:

https://www.roblox.com/games/getgameinstancesjson?placeId=1234&startIndex=0

Set placeId to whatever your place ID, and use a proxy such as rprxy (courtesy of Froast), and query small games. If your game could move to a fuller server, why not use TeleportService to move those people into a bigger server?

But wait!

Roblox are actually looking into changing this setting in the future, so you don’t have to do any of this soon!
Read more about that on this devforum announcement!

2 Likes

One player servers starting So as it turned out it wasn’t my problem…

Wrong link http://robloxdev.com/articles/How-to-teleport-within-a-Place
Teleport Within a Place

@Kevinllululala I feel your pain.

1 Like