How do I tween a model with vector3?

Hi, so I am attempting to tween a model using vector3 for a target position (end position of the tween) and I wish to get the position of the model and add a vector3 value to it to get my desired position. If possible, I would like to get the position of the model and add those vector3 values, but I am also willing to try other methods. I have searched for other topics but I wasn’t able to find anything other than posts related to manually moving models. I’m sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am being introduced to a lot of things I’ve never worked with before and I’m trying to piece everything together with things I find off other posts. Thanks!

1 Like

right now theres no way to direecrly tween a model’s position
but there are several workarounds:

create a CFrameValue/Vector3Value and tween the value to the correct position
Then after that hook up a heartbeat or a loop of some kind, and use :moveto() or :pivotto() on the model based on the cframe/vector3 value.

just make sure you disconnect/end the loop after the tween is finished or it could be laggy cuz your looping the positino for no reasons

the second option is tweening every part in the model which is kinda laggy

the third option is welding all parts to a single part which is anchored then tweening that parts position which makes all others folow it cuz its welded. This is good but it can be destroyed by explosions

there are probably several other work aroudns but thats what I can think of

1 Like

This is unrelated to your problem, but:

You generally shouldn’t name your variables after globals. This can lead to future confusion if you were to revisit this later down the line

3 Likes

A way to do this to create a part and set it as the model's primary part, then weld every part of the model to it, and then tween the primary.

1 Like

The door is rather large and there are many parts, is there any way I could quickly do this?

1 Like
for i,v in next, model:GetDescendants() do
    local weld = Instance.new("WeldConstraint")
    weld.Part0 = v
    weld.Part1 = model.PrimaryPart
    weld.Parent = v
end
1 Like

Its Possible as I managed to do it without welding, but I’m not sure about it being unanchored, or with rotations:

function lerp(a,b,t)
	return a + (b - a) * t -- Lerp Formula
end

function lerpModel(model: Model, endGoal, timePos)
	local fixedtime = math.clamp(timePos or 1, 0, 1) -- sets a Fixed number betwen 0 and 1

local pos = model:GetPivot().Position -- This is just a Position Example, not going to bother lerping a CFrame as it can be a bit complicated thing to do
	local newpos = lerp(pos, endGoal, fixedtime) -- Interpolated Position

model:PivotTo(CFrame.new(newpos)) -- sets new Position
end

2 Likes

Does this work? I added it into the model

1 Like

Yea, it should work.

limittt

1 Like

I’m assuming I should also define the primary part in the tween function, replacing the model with it, right?

1 Like

If you want to tween a model u should follow this:
Introduction to Tweening Models - Resources / Community Tutorials - DevForum | Roblox

Would it be okay to manually wield the parts instead? I know it is not the most efficient process, but I feel more comfortable doing it that way than through a script. Would I simply define the primary part after and tween that instead? Would that move the entire model?

Yes, and yes. It’s fine if you rather manually weld or not, so long as it works. :grin:

1 Like