How do I use .mtl files in roblox?

Hey developers!

I am trying to get some models from the website https://poly.google.com into roblox, and when I import them they just look like a grey mess. The models come with a .obj file and a .mtl file, how do I use the .mtl file?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Search on google before posting…

1 Like

Please read the original post before replying.

I am not asking how to insert obj files, I am asking how to insert .obj files with a .mtl material file.

14 Likes

Still, search on Google.

Search word:
roblox mtl file

3 Likes

If I understood what they were talking about I would not have made this post. I did search on google, I already saw that and it did not answer my question.
Some people on dvf.

9 Likes

.mtl files are intended for a program to apply textures in a specific way. That said, an .obj imported always have a .mtl generated from Roblox. Deleting the .mtl may cause the character/object to lose its textures.

2 Likes

How would I get this .mtl file to apply for the object inside of roblox?

Here are the files I have…
Screenshot_37

At the moment the model just looks like this:
Screenshot_36

Apologies for any misinformation I may be presenting because I don’t do any modelling or have even the slightest sliver of knowledge in that field.

That being said: I do not believe material files aren’t supported on Roblox. If they are, then your model doesn’t meet a prerequisite for the file to be applied or needs a different format (e.g. FBX). If you’re able to do so, I would recommend converting your material files into textures and then uploading those. I think that process is called baking, just checking up on some other posts of the same nature.

2 Likes

For modelling objects, they require a texture on Roblox. In order to keep a texture on the object, you need to do UV mapping. For reference, here’s an image of it.

Materials cannot be applied on mesh and imported, you’ll need to convert it to a texture(which is flat) as previously stated by @colbert2677, which is called baking. Importing the object correctly requires .fbx files. Check this page out for more other information:

If you’re looking for help on how to do this, check around for a tutorial on your modelling software to find out!

5 Likes

Well the best way to import .mtl files in roblox is by doing these steps:

Step 1 Open blender
Step 2 Click the file button in top in blender
Step 3 Click import and select import .mtl file
Step 4 After that do the same step 2 and then click export and select export .obj file
Step 5 And then open roblox studio
Step 6 And then insert a mesh part and then import the .obj file you have just exported in blender and boom

EDIT:My bad i thought you meant that you couldn’t import it in roblox and if you want its texture then you sadly can’t import .mtl and .obj file with the textures meaning that you will have to convert the texture file to an .png file and then create an texture inside of the mesh part in roblox studio and then import the .png texture into it

1 Like

How do you convert the .mtl to .png?

You can actually export the texture instead of converting the .mtl file. Although you can upload the mesh with the texture still on to Roblox, instead of uploading both mesh and texture separately.

1 Like

So if I insert the model into blender, I can export the texture?

In case you have UV mapped correctly and textured the mesh prior to exporting to .fbx in Blender, then you can upload the mesh to Roblox Studio without having to upload both separately. That’s what I implied.

I think yes, you can. Probably through the UV Editing tab