How do i use vscode code on roblox (without rojo)

You need the roblox plugin (there are different plugins for different versions).

i had that to. still wouldnt connect.

ive seen someone whos done it without rojo. i dont remember theyre name though.

What’s the error? You are providing little information about your issue, making it difficult to debug.

i the entire game export with the script ran all the stuff it said to. but all the text it script was wierd symbols and stuff.

heres what it was.

i named the script work. anyways, is this fixable?

VSCode or any other script editor can’t read rbxl files. Only Roblox Engine can read them. It is 100% normal that the file looks like this in the VScode.

then how wouldi fix it? if its unable to read the files how are people using vscode with roblox?

Rbxl file is file generated by Rojo so you can publish the game, open it in studio etc. All scripts, stuff go to src directory and then you generate this file to publish the game to roblox. You can also use rojo serve & the plugin in studio to live stream the code from VSCode to the game.

im confused. you dont need rojo to get an rbxl. you can just save a copy of the game to your pc and itll export as rbxl. and what do you mean stream code?

Here’s an example of how Rojo works.

First, you need the Rojo extension on VSCode and the Rojo plugin.
Next, you need a “default.project.json”. You can make your own, or what I use, rbxlx-to-rojo. Link: https://github.com/rojo-rbx/remodel.
Then, you press ctrl+shift+p and type in “Rojo”. You should find “Rojo: Start server with project file…”.
You click it and press the first option. Then, go into studio, open the “Rojo” plugin, and press “Connect”. Then you can edit your scripts virtually. I would recommend getting some plugins, like TabNine and Roblox LSP.
Edit: I would also look at the rojo docs. Link: https://rojo.space/docs/

the rbxl to rojo is just a bunch of random files. theres nothing in it to run.

if you right click the .rbxl file and select “Open file location…” you’ll be able to view the file from File Explorer and double click it to open it in Studio.

And a quick rundown of what Rojo can do:

• Rojo: Serve... or Start Rojo lets you sync VSCode changes to a place file opened in Roblox Studio (once you subsequently connect with the roblox plugin).

• This allows for a workflow of saving in Code and testing out your changes in Studio.
    • in your case, you can do the thing up top, “Start Rojo” at the bottom, and connect within Studio.
    • CLI: rojo serve PROJECT_PATH
  • Rojo: Build takes the files you wrote in the src folder and uses them to build a roblox place/model that you can open in Studio.

• You can modify how these files are organized in the roblox place file by modifying your default.project.json.
    • Pro tip: if you want a human-readable version of the roblox place file, try saving it as work.rbxlx. You can change the file name and format in the VSCode extension’s settings
    • CLI: rojo build PROJECT_PATH -o OUTPUT_PATH

Rojo has some other functionalities, but they are not as important as these two.

I remember there were some alternatives to Rojo either in their GitHub or on the documentation, but Rojo was meant to supercede them by a large margin, and this is true in my experience.

i dont have rojo serve or start rojo. and i cant just connect it to studio i need to convert the entire game into a new file but i dont know how to convert it.

So you want to convert a roblox place file to a rojo project?

yes. its required to even use rojo on a game.

There’s a program for converting roblox places to Rojo projects on GitHub, but I’ve heard lately that it breaks, it’s still worth a shot I guess.

If that doesn’t work, I can help you convert the place from scratch here or in DMs.

could you dm me on discord? i dont know how to use this. theres no files that i ant run. i need help figuring this out. pierce#0412

Sure, I’ll send a FR right now

If you don’t understand how is programming outside Roblox Studio, you shouldn’t use Rojo (unless you just want to learn), if you don’t need to use don’t use it, you don’t need to use Rojo to be a good scripter.

If as the title says, you just want to code using VSCode, then you can use this: Nexus Embedded Editor - "Hacky" Method to Overlay External Editors over Roblox Studio (No Longer Maintained)

2 Likes