How do TD games stay entertaining?

So I am making a tower defense game and overall I have seen everyone have the same 2 complaints about TD games:

• Boring
  • Repetitive

I am wondering how I could eliminate these complaints while still having the game not feel clunky/annoying with lots of unnecessary clicking when it could be implemented automatically

Some ideas I’ve already thought about:

• Better tools to be able to “micro” towers
  • Pierce based towers so that there is randomness/luck to be able to hit enough enemies
  • Fast forwarding

Any additional ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

One of the TD games I can point out is Spirit Defenders - Roblox. They got many activities such as upgrading towers, magnets, crafting and much more, so you focus on stuff besides just earning money/XP. (sadly the game is dead)

1 Like

I currently can’t check out that game due to me being at school, but I will definitely be checking it out when I’m home.
Do you have any ideas for good ways to earn towers that isn’t just the standard:
Play map → Win → Earn currency → Buy tower → Repeat

1 Like
  • Achivements
  • Locked until level X
  • Locked until X maps/difficulties done
2 Likes

I would say to make a TD game entertaining, you have to make things a little bit on the faster paced side, make sure that the starting levels don’t last more than 10 minutes. Keep the player engaged, (maybe let them click on the units to do damage), add effects that help trigger sensory to keep that dopamine spiking (mostly sounds and visuals). I would say those are the main things you want to make sure to get.

2 Likes