How do you animate parts in an animation?

Hello, I’ve recently wanted to use animations in my game that involves moving parts of a weapon for a reload animation but I’ve been stuck on how to do it in the most efficient way.

GIF of what I mean (focus on the mag of the AK47): https://gyazo.com/8421026aef9d5fa1428f1af0eb7c0661

I’ve researched some different methods and I’ve come across a method by Headstackk (How to animate Tool Parts (Guns, Knifes etc.)) that uses Motor6Ds. I’m wondering if there is any other way to achieve this result or if Headstackk’s method is the only way to do it correctly/efficiently.

two ways, 1) animate the weapon separately, and play the player’s and weapon’s animations at the same time
2) animate a rig that’s holding the weapon and you can animate both the weapon and rig at the same time

Pretty sure animations work based on part names, so for it to work on all your weapons, they must have the same part names.

1 Like

It really depends on what kind of output and result you want.
Take Arsenal as an example, they have a completely different rig for first person, which is the arms. If you take my game as an example, I use one animation on both first and third person.

My method is somewhat efficient, maybe it will be harder to animate, but it also benefits you a lot as I have mentioned in the thread.