How do you create a soft-body car? (Mesh deformation for A-Chassis)

I’ve been looking for ways to make a deforming mesh for the A-Chassis on the internet but to no avail. I’m trying to make a mesh for an A-Chassis car that deforms upon impact. So, when the car crashes into an object or another vehicle, its mesh will deform and maybe some crash sound will play. Does anyone know how to do this? I would appreciate any help. A quick overview will help.

4 Likes

why are you asking for an entire Script it says “Please do not ask people to write entire scripts or design entire systems for you. If you can’t answer the three questions above, you should probably pick a different category.”

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is for scripts, he never asked for someone to write a script for him. He’s just asking how to do it, he might not instantly just get the solution that’s maybe 10000 lines or even just 1 line, but probably something like a brief overview of what to do.

6 Likes

I’m not asking for an entire script. Please read my original post properly before you start making irrelevant replies that are not of any help to the question. I’m looking for ways and tools to create this not full scripts.

6 Likes

This is what I think could work. First, you need to rig the car with bones and stuff outside of ROBLOX. Upon impact in ROBLOX, simply move those bones around to create the damaging effect. Should only be a quick function.

4 Likes

Hey @heapicstuff i suggest you to get a model of a car instead of mesh

Place the car model, Then make another duplicate of it naming it like- crashed car.
After that you will have to script both the cars using hit detection or collision detection functions.
And script it like if the car collides with any surface then it will transform into the duplicate (crashed car) and decreasing the player health by 2% because even i real life a person would get hurt if he crashes his car and i believe in making games realistic

Hope you got it and i couldn’t give the script because i am not very good at scripting.

-Warlord_1901t

1 Like

In general game mechanics, this is done rather not with a deformable mesh but rather a list of identical meshes that are manually deformed in various ways. Then what you would do is have sensors positioned around the vehicle so that when it senses touch and the velocity is high enough it changes the car’s mesh accordingly. It’s rather labor-intensive and requires sometimes hundreds of meshes to accomplish.

Unfortunately, algorithmic type systems that can deform a mesh isn’t possible on Roblox as Roblox has yet to accept their unions as normal meshes, and thus we have no in-house method of editing meshparts.

@Sterling_ODeaghaidh thats what I said and even i agree with you that this work is gonna need some scripting.

And @heapicstuff i found this while browsing through dev forum hope this helps.

From Roblox Staff​:point_down::point_down:

2 Likes

This is what i found in the. Above post i sent…

1 Like