How do you design maps

Hi Developers!
I am looking into making a very big city as the map for my game that I am making but I am unsure how to design layout for it. How do you design and plan stuff like this?

1 Like

First of all, before you even start touching Roblox’s building tools, or maybe F3X, go back to the drawing board first. No, literally - go to any drawing software and start drawing what your imagination spills out from every corner of your brain.

Make sure that you don’t overdetail it, you may overestimate your building skills. And keep track of the theme of the game - and the features which may overlap with the map creation. For example, if your game has pathfinding AI make sure to make it compatible with your map, players could cheese the AI of the big scary monster!

You should also take in consideration lighting - lighting is a very important aspect about designing games. And maps obviously, sadly, lighting is something I see very often to be ignored when it comes to map designing and making. So be sure to use the right amount of lighting, perfect for the game.

For the map building itself, I suggest you use plugins like F3X or Archimedes to help speed up the process. Remember to take breaks and do your homework (that is, if you have some).

Sorry if this wasn’t enough for you, I’m running out of ideas quickly, but I hope you succeed in map making and learn something new from this tutorial.

1 Like

Wow! That was very helpful! I use F3x and Archimedes already but right now I will go and draw my ideas! I also do agree with your lighting statement, I have been in so many games and seen so many post that have terrible lighting and that can ruin the experience.

First of all, you need to have an idea on how you will design your map like go from the concept to build some ideas. If you’re planning to build a very big city you must search on google for reference purposes only