How do you line a part perfectly?

• What are you attempting to achieve? I am trying to make a house but the parts don’t line up perfectly.
  • What is the issue? When I am moving a part, the part never lines up perfectly with the rest of the parts. But it’s very hard to do so because of the selection box that doesn’t allows me to see where the part is at.
    Imagine you’re building a very cool looking building and then you stumble with this:
  • What solutions have you tried so far? I have tried using the Properties tab to move the parts but it’s impossible because of rotation.

Does anybody have tips on how to line it up perfectly?

5 Likes

Mate, you could always edit the rotation angle and the move snap. The laziest fix i could see in this is just to extend the part till cover the triangle gap and move it to the right a bit

I tried to get them to make SelectionBoxes with dashed lines, or removable a few years back… Didn’t work.

I get my camera right inside the joint where the SelectionBox is so you can compare the edges, then I sometimes move the Part by .0001 stud to get them to align exactly.

If you build with the Move value (in the Model tab in Studio) set to .125 you’ll get less Floating Point Errors when you move Parts a bunch of times.

Click the two faces you want to allign using this plugin.

Alternatively, use Archimedes Two to create the angled part from scratch. (Click a part, select a face and enter a degree) They will be aligned automatically.

6 Likes

Adding on to what @fourpapa1 said about plugins, I use Gapfill for problems like these. Hope this helps! :smile:

1 Like

Disable Can Collide It’s in the studio topbar and this should fix
Don’t forget to put the part inside the other part. I
And as others said if that doesn’t fix it feel free to use plugins!

I just remove snap completely, or set it to a minimum of 0.001 studs, to ensure complete accuracy. Yes, it may take some time and effort, but it’s better than having gaps in between parts. also, if you do end up using the Move tool, ensure that you take breaks in between movements, so you can use Ctrl Z if you need to undo a movement

As soon as I read the topic, the only thing that came to my mind was, ResizeAllign, GapFill. If anyone has these plugin, he/she can not only be freed of such problems but also can make beginner or advanced terrain using parts.(I am not talking of triangle terrain, like that is above advanced C:)

1 Like

I tried that, but no matter what, the selection box blocks the view and I will end moving it incorrectly.

I tried both of those plugins, they were resizing or spawning parts randomly., they weren’t doing what I tried to.

That was the closest thing that worked for me, I set it to .125 and it was less the amount that didn’t line up.

My best bet was to resize the part longer and then union it

Are you clicking the proper faces with ResizeAllign? It should be these two:
The only reason they wouldn’t align is if they’re offset in a weird way, and if that’s the case, you can just redo the arch with Archimedes as mentioned previously. To do that you would: -Delete the second part
-Click the first part
-have the correct face set (click through the different axis buttons in the Archimedes plugin)
-set the angle to something like 45 degrees
-click Render Once

In place of Archimedes, you could also use SBS Edge Rotation.
-Click Select Edge
-Hold down Alt and click your mousewheel on the desired edge

Here is the link if you’re unfamiliar with SBS. Most people I know stick to using this for basic functions. It far exceeds default studio tools.

2 Likes