How do you quickly create terrain for a game?

Hey there guys!

I’m currently trying to create a semi-realistic horror game set on a tropical island filled with dinosaurs for the enemies.

I wanted to use the terrain but it’s really inefficient to create on a large, open-world island my game is set on.

So, how do you quickly implement terrain on a large scale?

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

Have you used terrain editor?
You can generate and scale the size of the terrain with it

I suggest, block your whole island out first, keep basic generalized shaping for it and get your game working.

In industry, this is called “white boxing”

You can then use that generalized shaping by either manually painting it in after the fact, but you can also do some fancy things where you blox to create your terrain.

Either way, I highly suggest that at every step eliminate any unnecessary blockers that can be filled in after the fact once you get things working. Really assess what is needed at the time and if it can be done without till you ABSOLUTLY need it. This will increase your chance of completion of a project 10 fold!

3 Likes

Check out the assistant, it can give you ideas for builds if youre unsure how to start–or are new to building. However other people here may have fantastic advice!

Assistant | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

I often use the Command Bar to generate terrain. This is a “Lua code” demonstrating this.

workspace.Terrain:FillBlock(CFrame.new(0, 24, 0), Vector3.new(8192, 48, 8192), Enum.Material.Grass)

For more information, please search Terrain on the Developer Hub.