How do you script a certain word, when said on the chat, it does something

You know in some games, if you chat a certain word or phrase, something happens? Yeah I want to learn that. I’m pretty sure you have to use a remote event, but I don’t know. If you have tips or suggestion, please feel free to talk about it.

8 Likes

I’m a beginner scripter. I’m not sure how to add a ChatModule that triggers when a string pattern is recognized

1 Like

Edit: Ignore previous response, see below

If you want a much simpler approach to this, check this out: Player | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

Here is some sample code if you want to try an easier way:

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player) -- runs every time a player joins
    player.Chatted:Connect(function(msg) -- runs once the player that joined chats a message
        if msg == "hi" then -- create your conditions
            -- do stuff here if the condition is met
        end
    end)
end)
14 Likes

So I am doing like an animation, if you type a certain word in, where would you put the animation?

1 Like

This seems like a bad and an over-complicated example, especially for such a simple and a beginners question.

For @Kamlkaze_Kid, you can use the Chatted event as he mentioned. To play an animation, you’d first need to get the character’s humanoid, load the animation in and play.

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
    player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
        local anim = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid"):LoadAnimation(animation)
        player.Chatted:Connect(function(message)
            if message == "keywordhere" then
              anim:Play()
            end
          end)
      end)
  end)
5 Likes

You’re absolutely right, there’s much better ways to approach it

2 Likes

Where would you put the actual animation?

1 Like

I don’t know if I understand your question properly but I think you mean like chat commands
If you mean this you could use this script as a template for commands

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player)
	Player.Chatted:Connect(function(Message)
		if Message == "Hello World"then
			print("Hello World from "..Player.Name)
		end
	end)
end)

And it’s working good like what you see in this photo
!photo
I’m sorry if that didn’t help

2 Likes

What I meant was where would I put the actual animation thing. (ex: serverstorage, replicatedstorage)

1 Like

The animation goes where you want usually under the script which should be a local script.

This may help you:

That’s totally up to you, you can make it neat and put it inside a folder in ReplicatedStorage or you can even put the animation inside the script itself. As long as it’s a place where the script can reach.

For example: the server can’t access the player’s PlayerGui,
the client can’t access ServerStorage,
et cetera.

Are you trying to run an animation on the player?

If so, you can just create a new one with Instance.new, and set all of its properties.