How do you use the orbital camera?

The new CameraType has no documentation at this time.
I’ve looked through the camera module for it, but it didn’t really clear anything up for me.

Is it even an enabled feature yet?

I don’t believe it’s enabled yet.

1 Like

Why was it announced then? They never said it wasn’t enabled.

That’s pretty inconsistent behavior from Roblox, I think.

Actually no this is something they do commonly, a feature gets shouted or released then after a day or less it’s taken down for weeks to a month to get fixed. This has happened with website updates as well such as the 7 minute length audio update.

1 Like

They still haven’t announced anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve been wondering this same thing.

Hopefully the documentation will be out soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OrbitalCamera has been released, but accessing it is a little bit awkward because it pioneers the new value-object-based script properties a bit ahead of full studio support for archiving the values. You’ll see if you play solo that it creates a bunch of value object children. You need to copy all the camera scripts to StarterPlayerScripts as you would to make a custom camera in order to change these at build time rather than runtime. Documentation is coming soon also.

Enum.CameraType.Orbital should not be used, it exists for legacy compatibility reasons on the C++ side. You enable OrbitalCamera by selecting it from the DevComputerCameraMovementMode and/or DevTouchCameraMovementMode properties of StarterPlayer. It’s meant to be the sole option for a specific top-down style of social game, so it’s not a camera you can choose in just any game from the Settings menu. Using it is more like forcing first-person in this regard.

You can also enable it at runtime like so:

game.Players.AllYourBlox.DevComputerCameraMode = Enum.DevComputerCameraMovementMode.Orbital

Using the appropriate player reference of course, unless I’m in your game, in which case this will work as-is :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah, alright, thanks!

Sounds like some cool stuff is coming in the future :wink:

1 Like