How does one go about making a rain effect like this?

https://gyazo.com/967b606265e0b9c8824b87f6dcc9fe93

I noticed it seems the effect is actually on the face of a part. How is this done?

6 Likes

Could this be some kind of like decal animation or something which is run when the rain happens. I don’t know anyway you could do this via a partical emitter which is often used for rain.

He also did a rain droplet effect on the window glass itself. Idk looks too good to be a decal imo

I haven’t tested it my self but maybe you could use a beam with a png of rain droplets or make a script to animate the decal like @LifeDigger said.

1 Like

OK, after some time playing around I used a beam for the window rain droplets and a particle emitter for the rain outside (an of course some rainy weather lighting). It may not be the most efficient way but it worked for me

Screenshot:

If you need more info (like the properties I used for the beam and particle emitter, or the textures) let me know!

4 Likes

It’s most likely using a LightInfluence trick.

What do you mean (I’m curious)

Yes please, teach me! haha

It’s not that I even need this for a game. What annoys me in development is not that I want to use something specific I see in another game. It’s not knowing how to achieve it myself. :smiley:

Here is the studio file:
RainOnWindow.rbxl (39.9 KB)

Keep in mind this isn’t the best way of doing it (I would use a decal and animate it) but it also helps having good textures, the texture I’m using is ok.

5 Likes

Is there a way to have beams (like this) work on complex meshes? How would I make the beam follow the curvature of a round window, for example?