How does one make a dome in studio?

have tried a range of techniques, most successful one has been archimedes spam and changing the angles which ends up as some kind of pseudo dome shaped creation with bits sticking out

if anyone has some kind of arcane technique they could pass on i’d really appreciate it

1 Like

I usually use a method of utilizing SpecialMeshes to warp a sphere into a dome. You can do this by adding a SpecialMesh instance as a child of a base part, then set its MeshType to Sphere. You can do all sorts of things with this, like Domes, Ovals, and more. You can also still apply a union to the shape you make - something that you can’t do with MeshParts.

2 Likes

And to make it hollow just make a slightly smaller Sphere or oval and Negate it from the original sphere or oval.

Hey tried to give this a go and it’s just given me a warped shape - I’m definitely doing something wrong so could you help me out?

yup this was my original go-to solution but it has the disadvantage of being a union which (imo) makes it harder to work with especially on larger scale builds when you’re trying to detail and colour the dome

Put just one SpecialMesh in the Part, then go to the Properties of the SpecialMesh and change it from ‘Head’ to ‘Sphere’.
Now when you resize your Part the mesh will fit the bounding area of the Part. Looks like you’ve got the Part too small on the Y axis and it’s flattened out the Mesh.

1 Like

not sure why I had a 2nd mesh in there LOL,

i’m still doing something wrong, not sure what but it’s not giving a dome shape, i think I have a pretty good idea of what you mean, will try and experiment and see if i can get it to go in reverse (so it backs into the sphere) if that makes sense

I recommend you to use a a mesh instead building it on the studio (maybe there is a dome mesh in the mesh library), also you can do this with a MeshPart

Or directly use the method that Scottifly mentioned

But have in mind that the negative sphere needs to be in the same position than the original sphere, and then, cut it in half

i’ve been trying to avoid mesh as a technique to use this but am now seriously reconsidering my options, i’ve seen what I have in mind done before by others but have no clue how to replicate it

eg

^ from mesmer by ohriginal and ch00chuf1

1 Like

Cut up a Ball/Sphere with unions and negative parts.

So they pretty much used unions; try the video I’ve linked below. Then from there add your little decorative peaces.

1 Like

yeah i was trying to avoid unions hence the reason for the forum post in order to decorate and design properly but thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes

absolute legend cheers mate, will give the video a proper watch tomorrow morning

1 Like

Or if you really wanted to use the Archimedes spam technique you could take the Parts you used in your original post, shorten each Part until it just meets the inner top corner of the Part next to it, and add wedges on both ends of the Parts resized to fill in the gaps.
:slight_smile: