How Does Roblox Apply Materials to Meshes and How to Replicate It in Blender Without Baking?

I’m trying to apply a custom material texture to a broken wall model composed of 3 meshes. 1st for the paint, 2nd for bricks and 3rd for the mortar. The issue is that, while the mesh is within a reasonable triangle count, it is still too complex for me to edit the UVs manually to fix stretched textures and I cannot achieve a good result with the automatic unwrapping.

Why not bake the textures? The issue is that I want them to be of a high resolution and the mesh is fairly large (9x7x1), making pixels very easy to spot and the 1024px limit doesn’t help.

I found somewhat of a solution by importing the finished mesh into Roblox, applying a material to it, exporting it as an .obj, applying the texture to it in Blender again and re-importing it into Roblox. But the whole process is way too tedious and I want to know what Roblox does exactly to achieve this and how to replicate it without the middleman.

Here are a few examples using a random car model I found in the toolbox:
The original.
mesh1
After applying my own the texture with a visible stretch:

After the above mentioned process without the visible stretch:

Just came across this thread.

I know for a fact ROBLOX triangulates meshes on import.

If you want to do this in Blender you can try Ctrl + T which triangulates the mesh which fixed the issue for me!

1 Like