How feasible would it be to allow players to layer clothing?

I have a short-sleeved shirt. Winter comes around and I want my character to dress for the occasion. I put a jacket on. Now my short-sleeved shirt is gone. What if I wanted to layer my jacket over my shirt? Maybe I like that shirt. My only option at this point is to steal the assets and re-upload them after I combine them myself. This applies to a lot more as well: socks, armbands, gloves, shoulder patches, sashes, badges (like a police badge), etc.

How feasible would it be to allow users to wear multiple of those and layer them all on top of each other? When ROBLOX draws avatars after they change, this could also be the point where clothing is layered and combined into a single asset (so there’s no performance loss in-game due to more assets). Flattening 100s of assets at once would take a toll on ROBLOX’s servers and present UX challenges for displaying all of a user’s equipped assets, but if it were limited to a smaller but more reasonable number, those shouldn’t be an issue.

31 Likes

Hey, I really like this feature. This would be great.

1 Like

This would result in a lot more clothing purchases as well due to the fact that users have more options for customization.

( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ)

7 Likes

you’re a genius

7 Likes

I would love such feature for sure but… I think this also brings a new “moderation issue” to town. As of now you cannot wear/upload “offensive symbols” (iirc). With the new system you could then like split a swastika into several pieces which would make it unrecognizable and upload it and combine them together to get the symbol.

Could even be offensive text etc uploaded in seperate characters.

You probably are thinking “Who would do this?”, well there are enough “trolls” to discover this way to get something past moderation.

People can already do this on 3 levels by combining the front torso face on pants, shirts, and tshirts.

6 Likes

Ah, I didn’t think about the pants and shirt.

Just made a thread just like this here. Bumping because it’s relevant and because I (obviously) support this.

1 Like

As a Roblox developer (and general user), it is currently too hard to . . .

Use clothing to customize all parts of your character. Typically, players simply buy pants (with the torso transparent) and a matching shirt, and call it good enough. However, I find this a bit too limiting in character customization. Something I’ve recently fallen in love with is adding flames or tattoos to your arms, while using pants for your torso and legs. This essentially allows you to have any outfit with flames or tattoos, rather than relying on content creators to add this details to all of their shirts For example, look at these 4 outfits: http://imgur.com/a/kYkiD

The one problem with this is that sometimes there are pants you really like, but the torso was left transparent. No big deal unless you’re using a shirt for tattoos. This essentially leaves nothing for your torso, and just looks weird. Other times, you might like the torso part for pants, but not the legs. It’d be nice if you could layer one pair of pants on the other, so you get the legs and torso parts combined. You might also want sleeves to go with tattoos/pants, or hair extensions with your current shirt. There are so many different possibilities available.

The solution for this might be an entirely new type of clothing created for just arms or just your torso, but I think it’d be more beneficial if the Shirts and Pants objects were updated so you could wear 2 to 3 at once. Then simply allow the avatar creation screen let you set which clothing should be displayed first, essentially allowing you to layer them on top of each other (i.e. tattoos displayed first then sleeves).

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

Essentially character customization would become more detailed and give users more freedom is choosing their outfits. Furthermore, clothing designers wouldn’t have to upload 10 of the same things with just minor differences (and since players will be buying more items, they’d receive more funds as well).

10 Likes

I’m sorry but I don’t think I support this. In my opinion I think the current clothing system is fine. If you’re talking about other forums of decals(T-Shirts) then I would most likely approve.

For Example:

Arm-Wear: Left/Right(Customize-able with the current template system) R-15 compatible obviously

Leg-Wear: Left/Right(Customize-able with the current template system) R-15 compatible obviously

I support. Having multiple layers will enable this tattoos/stickers and many other accessory designs that cant be made using traditional hats even if we did have a more expanded UGC catalog. As it is (in it’s very limited state) it’s proven to be very popular within the community. A limit sounds perfectly fine to prevent abuse, and obviously to offer a better performance.

2 Likes

This is a good idea. Really hope this can be added.

EchoReaper recently made me aware of a thread just like this here.

@KnockOfScripting
It’s fine right now, yeah, but I think it could be much better. Other forms of decals for arms/legs would be nice, for sure, but it also wouldn’t have as many advantages as being able to wear multiple layers. If you like elements of two different clothing articles, you are either forced to chose one, or copy both of them and combine them yourself. The first one isn’t really an option, and the latter is kinda immoral and takes profit from the actual designers.

I would love to be able to sell shoes separate from pants and let the players chose which ones they want to buy.
One thing that might be an issue: Are the layers static? For instance, if someone uploads a “Jacket” item is it always on top of “Shirt” items? What if someone uploads a “shoes” item? Does it get layered above a pair of skinny jean “Pants”? What if the player is wearing bell bottoms or a maxi skirt (shoes would go under those)? Might be good to let the player chose which item shows on top in this case.

1 Like

I think that roblox also has to consider the amount of things that needs to load into the character. Having too much will also cause the character to lag, I think.

Any combination you could make with multiple layers is already possible

Sure, you may have to edit clothing or make something new.

But its possible.

I think he/she is proposing wearing more than 1 Pants/Shirt at a time.

1 Like

Given that it’s all reduced down to one texture anyway I don’t think the number of clothes objects would make much of a difference to performance?

If I challenge anything it’s that I think people are sometimes optimistic when it comes to expecting roblox to make clothing related updates. Obviously it’s not for me to say, but seeing how clothes have been treated over the years really indicates to me just how low they consider clothing on their priority list.

As ROBLOX_Clothing mentioned, clothing is already flattened down to one texture (composite texture). There would not be an in-game performance concern. There may be an issue if we had to layer 100s of textures, but ROBLOX’s composite texture already holds 10 accessories + pants/shirts + multiple package textures in a single texture, so I don’t think adding a few layers to clothing will be an issue.

3 Likes