How I can make light, that will cover everything near object?

Hello, guys. I’m trying to make fire. But it have one trick - it can spread on almost anything flamable! And, flamed things should emit light, and there’s where problems comes…

In my game, players can change items a lot, like they can make ultra-long planks from some trees. And when I tried to use PointLight, it was unable to cover this situation due to the fact that this light applies to the center. So, either light was way too big, or way too small.
Then, I tried to use SurfaceLight. I thought it will be best choice, until I put it on big object:

As you can see, this light behave strangelly…
So, after some further unsuccessfull tries, I think the only thing left is ask here:

How I can make light, which will emit from part itself, and cover everything nearby, and not only center of it?

2 Likes

If you haven’t, try playing around with the Lighting properties. I’d suggest (still if you haven’t) setting the Technology (in Lighting > Properties) to Future

1 Like

I already tried to play with them, changing range and brightness, and technology already set to future.

1 Like

Maybe make a spotlight and change the angle to 180 and set the face to bottom, and change other stuff of how you like it (also set a brightness). If its still too dim, just CTRL D the spotlight and it should be brighter

(Edit: If you want to cover the top too, just make another spotlight and set Face to Top)

1 Like

surface lights should work well.

1 Like

Unfortunately, SurfaceLights emit from a square-shape, so they don’t really suite fire or anything else that isn’t a cube. I think your best bet is to use multiple SpotLights along the lines of fire (not just one for just one side because that wouldn’t cover the whole face) like @yoshicoolTV suggested.

1 Like

They already tried to use SurfaceLights, they say that it doesn’t look that good in the post, because SurfaceLights emit light in a square-shape that doesn’t suit fire. Please read posts fully before replying to them, especially short ones like these.

1 Like

My bad, but I think my implementation may differ from OP’s implementation. Here’s my implementation

1 Like