How long does a game become popular?

This question just went into my mind, how long exactly does a game become popular?

Seeing those games in the “Popular” section just makes me think how did they became popular…

1 Like

They probably got their games advertised or sponsored to grab people to the game, and I think it will take at least 3-8 months to get a popular game.

This all really depends on multiple different factors.

1. How appealing your games is and what audience it appeals to.
  2. What platform your game is prioritizing
  3. Which platforms is your game supported on and how much are you sponsoring on each platform, if not at all.
  4. The time of day and day of the week that you are running ads
  5. The quality and detail of your place/game thumbnail.
  6. The theme/topic of your game, what is it about?
  7. Is it receiving updates often and or weekly updates.
  8. Does the place/game make players want to come back again.
  9. How long are the players spending in a server before they leave the place/game
  10. Does it have any game-passes that would persuade/make them want to continue/dedicate their time to.

Well, anyways with all that being said I hope this helped🙂

3 Likes

To give you an honest answer, it could take a day, a few weeks, or a month or two. I’ve seen games where the developer didn’t put any advertising into it, they just made it, logged off, and it became popular overnight. It can just be luck as the content of the game may actually be what attracts the players.

1 Like

A lot of times games on the front page don’t use advertising. I’m pretty sure that Piggy or Adopt me didn’t need any advertisements.

Let’s take Jailbreak for example. They blew up the first day they got release. Immediately, they got a few thousands of players to play their game. The reason being is cause the prison genre was a very popular thing back then. One of the more popular prison games at that time, prison life was doing quite well. However, there wasn’t much to it(I’m not calling it bad, it’s quite interesting to escape because it is extremely difficult). All you could do was escape and that was kinda it. Not only that, the developer had to go to college and couldn’t update the game as frequently. So when Jailbreak came out, it was like a fresh new game with a genre that many people enjoyed. Moreover, they even expanded on what you could do beyond escaping. That is one of the reasons it got so popular.

However, now Jailbreak isn’t as popular as it once was. Mainly because the programmer of the game, badcc, had to go to college(sounds familiar) and couldn’t update the game as much. So updates are a very crucial point in making your game entertaining and get players coming back.

If you want to watch a video because that is how I found out about Jailbreak’s story, you can watch KreekCraft’s video on “The rise of Jailbreak” here.

So my advice will be to just find a new type of game. Or a unique game concept that you know people will enjoy. You can get your friends to test it out too.

3 Likes