How Long Is A Server's Lifespan?

Hey Developers!

Is there any numbers on how long a server can run before it times out?

I want to gather data (eventually) from other servers and compile that within Studio for developers to track performance of some things. Also, would that be possible to store data (this is not player-based data, as in anything personal) from a server’s runtime and view that back in Studio or is that outside the scope of a remote function?

8 Likes

I believe a server lasts until all the players playing on it leave.

This is why a lot of games have stuff like “Only works on new servers!”.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

12 Likes

As far as I know, @Santeeisweird9 is correct. I know for certain that I have played on servers in games like Lumber Tycoon 2 and Murder Mystery 2 that are over 4 days old.

3 Likes

It seemed like back in 2012-2013 the server’s (in my experience) just timed out constantly while playing this was due in part to connection, but sometimes I would be the only one on a game and it would just pop up with the classic red overhead box “THE SERVER HAS SHUTDOWN”.

4 Likes

This helps, because I want to be able to collect a constant stream of data.

2 Likes

They do work like that but they close 1 to 3 seconds after all the players leave.

4 Likes

I’ve been in servers that are over a month old so it is definitely until all the players leave.

3 Likes

I believe he means until the server memory runs out.

Typically, depends on your game really. Mine lasts like 12 hours because it’s the main server and has 70 max players with a tonnn of stuff (game never really goes above 60 players without sponsors)

You could add a counter into one of your servers (through console log) and send a discord webhook when the game crashes. (Correct me if I’m wrong but I think game:BindToClose() will still run)

2 Likes

Servers last up until all players leave plus some extras. Any instance using BindToClose or OnClose will last up until all code in it has finished running or the 30-second maximum has been reached for how long a server’s closure can be prolonged. Servers can also be forcibly shut down from the website, which is done either by the developer or Roblox during maintenance hours.

If you’d like to compile data within Studio, create a session data tracker of sorts (preferably through a ModuleScript) and log everything you need there. When the server closes, use BindToClose to save that data to a DataStore. You may need to use DataStore2’s technique of using a combination of OrderedDataStore and GlobalDataStores to have an easier time accessing session stats.

What kind of data do you need to retrieve from a server’s run time that you can’t get with the tools already provided to you?

4 Likes

I am wanting to track traffic count using regions. <-- I’ve got this covered.

Traffic Count Captured Data:

• Total for Local Intersection(s) – commonly known as Average Daily Traffic (ADT)
    • Turn Data
    • Through Data
    • Any Future Additions to Data Captured
      I want to also track volume and other “angles” to help a developer get a better idea of how their intersections are working locally and regionally across their game.
      All of that would then be viewable in a convenient place within Studio to see if any intersection needed improving with the given data.
6 Likes

I just figured out that everyone gets disconnected after 96 hours of a server being up.
it happened to my vip server in afk simulator.

2 Likes

Why did you necro-post? This is an old post.

hey! sorry to necro-post but games like “Merge!” by TheBirbsWord once was able to tank roughly ~12 days of continuous running. there’s another game by Siryzm and Willzuh called Twisted with a (still running at time of this msg, although with a boatload of bugs) server that’s approx. 3 days and ~8 hours old, and for a very performance heavy game like Twisted, it’s quite surprising.

depending on if players wish to keep a game going, you can generally get a week’s worth of gametime.

for the other question, yes! you could catalog errors into something like a trello database or spreadsheet using the built in HTTPS roblox API. do note this may require paying to access these kinds of services. discord webhooks could work too