How many triangles should a streetlight have?

Hello there,

I am making a NYC styled game, and streetlight are essential for it (duh…)
Anyways, I am in the process of making all of the streetlight models needed for the game, and this question popped up in my head:

What is the optimal amount of Triangles to maintain good detail, but not mess up performance?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions!

You may then include any further details.

My current streetlight is pretty detailed (I would say), and it’s at about 1’500 triangles give or take:

Is that too much if I paste it around the world, or is that just on the borderline?

EDIT: Removed some unneeded faces and lowered it to 1’300.

ANOTHER EDIT: I also have ContentStreaming enabled, so it should also help with performance.

That is too much for sure though.

I see you’d like them to appear round, which you can do with a shading trick that takes far less geometry.

Inside of the “Object” menu in Blender, you can select “Shade Smooth” which will shade all of the sharp edges smooth which makes them appear round. With this, you can significantly reduce the resolution of your model while keeping the appearance relative to your current model.

I made a demo showcasing what smooth shading will do to a relatively low poly asset:

The triangle count on this model is 128, so there’s still a good margin to increase the resolution.
Here is the object file if you’d like to see for yourself: Example.obj (6.1 KB)

Overall, I would suggest to stay within the few hundreds in terms of triangle count on these kinds of assets.

Good luck.

1 Like

I don’t really want it round, I want the player to see the edges and stuff, plus Shade Smooth has weird shadows all over it, and makes it look off… Is there any alternative to this?

Not saying this is a bad suggestion, I definitely appreciate it, but it is a pretty big downgrade!

Thanks!

(i wish there was a way to make lag a thing from the past for all PC’s lol)

Also, what do you think the target amount of triangles is for a model like mine in the picture that I provided?

If Shade smooth has “weird shadows” then it’s used incorrectly.

Upload your model to this thread, and I take a look on how to optimize it.

1 Like

You can adjust the sharpness of shade smooth with the auto smooth property on blender, i normally keep it around 30 degrees so round corners will be smooth, but not sharp edges.

1 Like

Oh, thank you for bringing that to my attention!

1 Like