How many tris should I have in my Pirate Ship? (Will have 30 ships in game)

Hello, I am making this Pirate Ship, at the moment it has 25,000 tris. After adding cannons it’ll probably hit 30,000 tris total. I’d like to have servers that may have 30 ships in it, is this too much? Thanks!

7 Likes

That’s a lot of triangles, you should decrease the amount.

You can decrease the tris of the mesh in blender by using the decimate modifier, then you would go to object mode and shade smooth. Then add another modifier called, “Weighted Normal” and bring the weight all the way up.

This video can explain what I mean, skip to 3:44:

2 Likes

The overall looks and aesthetics are so good! The details are also insane. But 30,000 tris is a lot, especially once that adds up with 30 ships…

2 Likes

I’d say it really depends on what you think. Your ship is a beauty. If that one ship will be the same as the 30 others, that’s 900,000 triangles. Now you tell me, do you think that’s a lot? I sure do. This ship will be fine in your game, as long as the other ships are between 5-10k triangles. (Which would be difficult to make). I’d like to ask another question. How many total people are you planning on being in your game? 10? 20? I’d say you should have no more than 20 people in a server.

Looking at your pirate ship, 30k triangles seems very reasonable, especially for the size. I’m sure this is all the advice you need. It more depends on what your game is about. Will the ships sit there until someone finds it and steals it? Or will the ships not load until someone spawns it? It really depends.

3 Likes