How much vertices would be optimal for a detailed vehicle model?

Hello,
I am modeling cars for a Roblox game and I have some worries about how the cars could impact the performance. The cars include an interior, a exterior and a model of the engine. All of it together (distributed over the 110 objects) is approximately 32000 vertices and 60000 triangles for each car.
My question is, if this could make the game drop in performance and if yes, how much vertices would be the most optimal for the game’s performance.
edit → So far I haven’t noticed any lag except the loading of the meshes does take a few seconds.

Thank you!

2 Likes

You may not notice lag when playtesting, but if you have 20 people driving these around in your game you’ll probably have issues.
I’d suggest baking the details on, not adding every bump, nook, and cranny to the Mesh.
Things like the dashboard or wheel rims could have waaaaay fewer tris.
I’d recommend having a look at how much detail is on cars in popular games and scale yours down from there. Those developers likely have tried using cars with more details until performance started to slow down.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
Thanks for telling me that, it certainly made it more clear for me, however I would like to know a specific amount of vertices or triangles to target.

1 Like

this is the interior of a car in driving empire for instance, this seems to be even more detailed than my car and it runs smoothly for me at max graphics settings. (sometimes choppy in some places)

1 Like

It’s done by baking the textures. I am sure you know what it means but if you don’t then it basically means using a high poly mesh and generating a normal/roughness/metallic map from it and applying it to a low poly mesh to get the same detail as in the high poly one but with extremely lower amounts of triangles.

Here are some videos:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.