How realistic can I make my characters

Could I make my characters like Xbox characters like NBA 2K, Madden, and others

Most realistic Character on Roblox(That I could Find)

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know the extent of your ability, what do you think you can do? I’m not even familiar with making characters on roblox, but I don’t think even the most skilled can make it as realistic as that

5 Likes

I’ve seen tutorials on yt on how to make some

1 Like

If you don’t make it too gorey and if you’re skilled enough, yes. And if you can optimize it well…

1 Like

This would require a plethora of parts to construct and scripting it would be a major pain.

I read up for realistic characters on the devforum what I found got me worried that roblox couldn’t handle it

I didn’t wanna go through all that pain to make a character that won’t even work

You have to be insanely good at optimization for it to work. If you’ve seen @PoptartNoahh 's work and @Canned_Yam 's, they do a very good job at it and it runs well. Honestly most roblox people like simpler stuff, maybe that will change though.

1 Like

Since we have normal maps/reflection maps plus mesh deformation you could do something similar, but animating them in an immersive way is still not really possible because of either janky physics or just because we don’t have the tools available yet. Although I might be wrong on this, but I have never seen seamless character animations on Roblox, be it procedural or just with transition easing. Most games with procedural bodies are goofy (like that one game “the future” or whatever it was called), and it’s more like a Fall Guys type of movement than anything which is not what you would want to achieve in a serious game.
Either way there is still the triangle limits and the awfully small 1k max texture texture resolution. The triangle limit is not much of a problem but the texture resolution would force you to segment your model, which is not what you’d usually want. At most you can afford to make the head a different mesh, which is what most games do for their faces. Otherwise everything would be really pixelated.

2 Likes

Hold on, you make these things in studio? If the people who made those characters made them on studio, they would not look the same, maybe hire a modeler to do it on a 3d software such as blender, or if not, maybe try picking up blender yourself, making this in parts would be a hassle, moreover, lag would take its toll, I’m not an expert with modeling, but that just a little piece of advice, I believe in you though, maybe your work could be the next best thing…

Also, are you doing this because of the Roblox competition about making characters that are, “distinctly humanoid”?

To be fair, Jailbreak dogs are realistic, maybe if someone knows the method they used, you can implement that method into your models/meshes

2 Likes

You can make it as realistic as you’d like, though no one will probably be able to run any game with them.

1 Like

As long as it’s not…uh…“fully modelled” so to speak, I don’t see why hyper realistic models wouldn’t be possible.

Only issues I could see you running into would be tris limits when uploading, and high poly models making games laggy.

1 Like

Thx I will be using blender for the project and I have ideas on how to not make the game laggy

1 Like

I don’t think it will be fully possible due to the fact there’s such a low cap on triangles for meshes and that if you make a custom character seams will be visible.

You could perhaps cover up the seams using mesh deformation which was released not long ago but I don’t know much about it but it’s best to search up about it.

Considering that you also need to take into consideration that Xbox and PS4 game characters have a vast majority of emotions however that is not possible at the moment with roblox games so it will be difficult to find the most aesthetically pleasing emotion to be shown permenantly for your player.

Here are some of the most realistic characters on Roblox that I could find

Notice how most of them are just low poly with textures

1 Like

It still will be a deffect on your game as it will be extremely visible to players because it isn’t high poly.

Pretty much, you can make characters Like that I think, but I think there is a pixel limit… But its pretty much inserting the 3D model as a MeshPart and animating that, that might work because that’s something other games did like Bad Business.

1 Like

The Creator of the Dogs made alot of tweets about the Workflow of Creating them if anybody was interested.

2 Likes