Ultra-Realistic Blender Render| Why are Ultra-Realistic assets not popular on Roblox?

Dear fellow developers,
So my Brother made this render of a Donut and coffee cup (And no im not trying to advertise for him in any way as that would be a violation of forum rules)

(this was his first project that he finished and as a disclaimer he did watch tutorials on how to make it)

But the main reason i have posted this is why Are UR assets not popular on Roblox?
Like in jailbreak(i know its in keeping with their low-poly art style) they just use a basic purple torus as a donut.
Is it because roblox just doesn’t like them as they aren’t in keeping with the feel of the platform?

And also how well would you say UR characters of popular Roblox youtubers be received?(not that im in a posistion to be able to do that)

Well anyways thanks for reading :wink:

5 Likes

Very intresting question. To be honest, there are a few reasons that you don’t see many things like this.

1. Roblox does not allow you to import anything above 1000 faces. For example, that coffee mug, or the donut itself, have probably thousands of polygons. I guess you could apply all modifiers, then highlight a bit of the model, and press P to separate, but even so you don’t want to do that, because that would cause so much lag. Imagine if every single thing in jailbreak was ultra realistic. That’s millions, maybe even billions of polygons that each react seperatly to light and position, and more. Though, there are a few things you can do to sort of trick people. In blender, there is something called smooth shading, which can help make things more realistic. Take a look at this:

The one on the left is a sphere you would usually see in studio, though there are not many polygons, you can still understand it. Now imagine this was super small, like the size of a donut. You would never know this was how blocky it was. Now the one on the right, is smooth out a lot, and is a little over 1000 polygons. Its really a trade, more lag, less realism.

2. Normal, Displacement maps, and other ones like that. In that render, there are quite a few texture maps that are used to make things more realistic. From what I can see, and what I remember from that tutorial, the donut bread has 2 displacement maps, while the bricks have a normal map. As of right now, roblox only supports color maps, though this will change in the future. So what this render would look like in roblox would be a smooth, no bump donut, with clearly flat bricks.

3. Lighting. Roblox does not have as good lighting as blender does, in many different ways. For example, the icing has a slight translucency, making the light go through it in a certain way. Look at the glass for example. The handle, if you look at it is reflecting the marble counter. Look at the coffee, do you see how in the back it is slightly more orange?

There are many things one can do to combat this, but to be honest, roblox is not at the point where you can make something ultra realistic like this. Frankly, a lot of engines don’t have capabilities like blender, because blender is a rendering engine, roblox is a game engine. I hope this helped :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Incorrect category: belongs in #discussion