How relevant is the old map design in 2020?

Hi, everybody. I’m new here. This question is more like a discussion so I apologize if I am not writing in the appropriate category. I want to build a map for my game, and I would like to get your opinion on the design. At the moment, maps with advanced design (professional lighting, shadows, rays of light, water, grass) are relevant - all this makes the map very attractive and beautiful. I evaluate such projects . But I also like maps with the old design - for example, maps built from blocks with Studs . They also look good, but I don’t know if I should build a map in 2020 that looks like it’s from 2008 . I would like to know your opinion on whether the old design is worth doing in 2020 and how it is currently relevant.

I’ll show you what I’m talking about.

This is an example of map design in our time.

Here is an example of the old map design.

I’m interested in your opinion.

5 Likes

In my opinion, it would really depend on the map or theme of what type of atmosphere you’re trying to achieve. Though I would recommend incorporating a bit of both tastes in a map. One thing in my opinion that ruins my outlook on old maps is the part terrain, and as such I believe that fusing the best of both worlds into builds in 2020 would create a great atmosphere. This in general reminds me of mixing low poly and realistic, but I don’t think this in general is a bad idea for a project and I would be interesting in seeing what other people come up with.

4 Likes

Even though I haven’t played roblox before 2016, this apparently looks like prison life map which was made in like 2015 or 2016. I would suggest you to have a look at this.
(And yes, I too know that this has a mix of 2008 and 2018)

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion! I’ll make a note of it.

The thing would look a lot nicer with some modern lighting technologies, such as ShadowMap and sun rays. Regular Voxel/Compatibility lighting makes it look lifeless.
You could also change the skybox and do some magic with ColorCorrection instance. But yeah, I see potential in mixing old design and new lighting.

2 Likes