How Should I Advance / Get Started in Game Design?

Hi there, I’m ChiChi, and I’m relatively new to the game design industry. I’ve worked a few commissions (designing small projects and levels) but never had any real technical training. I would just learn by myself from looking at sample documents, and use my prior experience in writing and development to apply that.

For any existing game designers out there, how did you get to where you are now? Do you have any suggestions for me, and how I should improve? I’m curious about the different formats you use in your game design documents, and how much time it takes you to make one. Generally, any advice would be helpful!

1 Like

Hi, ChiChi!
From my personal view, I think that the most important thing in game design is Trend & Original Concept
Because from just these two you can come up with less good looking game with tons of players.
As you might have noticed in the past few years, community developers been copying concepts and just followed trends, however. We also see some really creative people out there with their own original concepts.
But to success with some original concept, you most likely need to have great marketing skills and know how to attract people. That also means you need a quite big budget for advertisments.

If you want to find some good inspiration for your game design, try to find a game that doesn’t exist, but you would pay money to play it, just think about it and then make a small market research If there’s anything like that.

Hope this helped you at least a bit, and have a great day!

1 Like

Forgot to say, that you should also look for your Target group!

1 Like

I started by watching extensive youtube videos on 3d modeling and how to get commissions. Then, I joined several discord servers that have hiring platforms and help platforms if you have any questions about anything wether it’s scripting, UI, building etc. There are many servers full of people willing to help you. And I post my portfolio all over those servers in the hiring channels and I have slowly but surely worked my way up the ladder.