How should I handle confirmation for deletion of items?

I’m currently implementing an inventory system where there is a max storage, so a delete/sell function is required.

I realised that I needed to make a confirmation for the delete button, so what I did was when the red delete button is pressed, it turns grey, and 1.5s later, it turns back to red and the text in the button now says “Confirm?”. Once the button is pressed again, the item is deleted for good. I’ll be implementing a mass delete feature so the 1.5s wait shouldn’t be a worry, though let me know if you think otherwise.

Honestly, I did this because I was lazy to make a completely separate GUI that would pop up for confirmation, but in the end it worked out for me because I think this is a good way to handle confirmation as the player’s screen wouldn’t be interrupted with a confirmation GUI. However, I also have opposing views, a 1.5s wait might annoy the player, and having a separate confirmation GUI would make accidental deletion less likely as the confirm button would be somewhere else on the screen, as opposed to having the confirmation button on the delete button itself.

What do you think?

1 Like

You have a pretty good system so far. But, usually I make a separate Screen GUI for conformation. I believe it would be easier for the player to notice than the text of the button changing.

If you want to take it one step further, when the player clicks delete, and the conformation GUI is gone, a pop-up at the side would allow them to restore their latest deletion for maybe like 30 seconds or so. (But this would be up to you if you want to do this or not).

The last thing I’d like to suggest is maybe a button that allows you to delete all selected items. That would allow the player to delete multiple items at a time, so they do not have to wait for 1.5 seconds for each deletion.

However, these are just my ideas, if you want to keep yours then go ahead.

2 Likes

Stick to the current system.
However always add a revert system, this is detrimental to the games cause.