How should I start building a showcase?

I thought of building a showcase because it’s easy,simple, and fun. I don’t know how to start out with building it though. I don’t know what lightings to choose and what to build. I am planning on making the showcase vivid and realistic. How should I start off and what should I build though. Thank you!

11 Likes

What I would personally do is look up real life places. Or walk around your neighborhood to find ideas. Then take that inspiration and try your best at it. Lighting is very important if your doing outside (most likely you are) so I would look up Youtube videos on how to do it or maybe even recruit someone at #collaboration:recruitment

6 Likes

Will it actually depends on what you want to create, If you have an idea on what to build or create go from there. Start by building small models. Very few things. Make a table, a lamp, a radio, something like that. Then, add on to it. Look at pictures on google of how they’re supposed to look, and add the details.

As well (@anon74807963) gave me some sites to get inspiration and ideas from and I believe you should check them out Pinterest, poly count and more you could always visit other showcases or look at images off of google and try to recreate it, there’s a lot of realistic lighting tutorials here on the dev forum I would recommend you check them out.

5 Likes

well a simple step i can recomend you to do is to surely check out this: Wooded Creek - Realistic Lighting it was made by a very good builder named NoireSplash

7 Likes

Well its different from person to person. Normally when I can’t get started I just go on Google images a start searching for the same kind of building. Let’s say you’re making a club for instance.

In my mind I want it to be Scifi and futuristic. So I would go a search “Scifi bar” and just scroll down until I find something that looks kinda like what I would want to build. This is not just limited to the physical build but also the lighting, ambiance and colours. I’m i saying that you should copy it completely? No of course not. Its just taking inspiration. For instance I would see:
Oh there’s an inside balcony in this one. Hmm. How can we make this look cooler? Maybe we can make the floor glass so you can see through it.
This like that. Take a concept and put your own spin on it to make it your own. Again this is different from person to person. You could get inspired from all sorts of medias. Videos, other games, even just going outside and having a look around. The smallest things can become a source of inspiration.
You could also just turn off all mediums. Music, video, games and just let your mind go lose. You will eventually think of something. Another thing is that for me at least, you won’t make something good unless you’re in the mood to do it.

Sorry if this is very confusing. I try to keep these things short but they just end up becoming a whole essay each.

I create music alot and trust me, I run into this problem alot. Sometimes I’ll just be stuck there slamming my head against the piano or keyboard because I can think of something. I just deal with it best by taking inspiration from other people or just not doing anything for a little bit.
Again this is different from person to person. Just do what you feel works best for you. Hope that helped. Sorry for the grammer. On a phone.

7 Likes

Hello!

In my opinion, you should just sit down and think about the showcase for a second, It’s about you, because It’s your showcase.

You are the builder, and you can add anything to that showcase.

First of all, make up your mind. Get ideas, think about what you would like to build, get ideas or even get inspired.

You can honestly build anything, for example

• A magical island
  • Your own apartment/house
  • Your own neighborhood
  • A forest
  • A beach
  • A facility

Then, you start building, you can start however you want to start. To get ideas search up google images and get inspired as well, because you can use that as a template.

I wish you the best of luck.

6 Likes

I’m thinking you should watch some building tutorials of making stuff, which can be very useful for a starters showcase because it will really helping you from scratch, than nothing, also you can get a plugin for helping your building for mostly, but find a YT video for the best plugin for you only, but I’m not a expert.

2 Likes

Build what gets you exited!
If you try to build what you think others will like then you will likely get bored of it and lose interest.
Start with a concept and go from there. You can start with small items, but generally I find that the scale of the place won’t work out if you start small and work from there. I like to have a general idea of what I’m building and work very roughly from there, planning walls and rooms so that if I need to I can modify doorways or placement of items later on if I change my mind.
I find one of the biggest issues for me is building something very detailed and precise, then adding stuff around it and realizing that it is off scale, or needs to be moved slightly which changes how it fits into the scene. It’s best if you make rough details first, then walk through it with your character to see how it ‘feels’ while you are in it. If a hallway is too narrow or a desk is blocking the access to a doorway then now is the time to fix it.

6 Likes