How similar is TOO similar for a copyrighted map re-creation?

I recently paid someone to re-create the Brookhaven map and my final result was interesting to say the least, I believe it’s a good re-make but it looks awfully too similar… I’m worried if I use it that my game won’t succeed as it looks like a stolen map.

None of the buildings have interiors but I also partly believe he stole and used some assets from Brookhaven’s official map so I am worried.

19 Likes

How much did you pay him? If you paid him super cheap I’m 90% sure he took the assets from the tool box or somewhere else.

10 Likes

First off I don’t know him and had just met him and gave him around 20,000 ROBUX for the deal, I am not aware how he built it at all and it took a day or two.

10 Likes

Dang, I had to become a builder.

I would like to ask what kind of game do you have?

6 Likes

why did you ask him to re-create it then if you don’t want a copy? Anyways I think people will look at it an know you copied brookhaven. I don’t think the brookhaven map is copyrighted, but maybe if your game becomes popular enough whoever made the brookhaven map might complain.

6 Likes

20k isn’t a lot of robux, especially if this guy expected him to create original models for everything :skull:

5 Likes

Just use the map, the map doesn’t even look like an exact copy. I would be more concerned on how I would even get a player base for the game and to make my 20k robux back :skull:

5 Likes

The players are no problem the players are already at 1,000+ I’m going to add it into an already popular game w a placeholder map.

4 Likes

Just add the map then, as long as it isn’t an exact copy then it doesn’t matter. Last time I checked you can’t DMCA someone off of something that is similar. You can’t copyright the way someone places legos in a Lego game :skull: so your good.

4 Likes

Well I am aware the official Brookhaven map is copyrighted and you can trust me on that, I have experience.

5 Likes

Going from experience, it’s literality impossible to build a huge map like that from the ground up in two days without most of it being made from stolen/free models.

I mean, setting up the freeway and roads alone would take more than a day at least.

So yeah, I’m defiantly sure he used assets that weren’t his.

Maybe just do a background check next time you hire someone, since many people aren’t trustable.

4 Likes

Yes I met him on the RoDevs discord server, do you think I would be safe using it or not?

3 Likes

I would just use Hidden Devs or Talent Hub since those platforms are more trustable and professional, RoDevs sorta seems a bit disorganized to me after getting a small glance of it.

6 Likes

20k rs is way too overpriced for something like that, the map looks terrible, there’s a bunch of mistakes and everything just looks ugly

7 Likes