How to Achieve a Heat Haze or Mirage effect

Hello i was wondering if there was a way to Achieve a Heat Haze or Mirage Effect you usually see in deserts

I do not own any of these images and do not intend to use them in any commercial use

Here is what i mean

gettyimages-1B06597_0004-640x640
images

7 Likes

It’s currently impossible to replicate this exact effect, but you can get pretty close using a BlurEffect.

3 Likes

I think Roblox doesn’t have this feature yet. You can try BlurEffect but it is not the same I know…

You can open feature request in #platform-feedback:engine-features so Roblox might consider addind heat haze effect.

3 Likes

I think you can try to use glass a a custom particle emitter and set the color to grey or something, and set the transparency to like, 0.75. Or you can make a textured billboard gui that faces the camera and is transparent

4 Likes

Glass is probably the closest you can get. If you make a couple of meshes and have them almost transparent, move them around like particles or whatever and you might achieve this kind of distortion. I don’t think there’s any other realistic way to do this right now, though - and that effect will only work on high graphics levels.

3 Likes

Go for the blur effect as mentioned above. If the game is in first person that would be the most realistic for now and sure thing is players would be impressed if it’s well executed.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the answers guys it really helped me to figure out this problem for my desert. So as it is not possible to do this as said above, i will use the blur effect method first. Thank You

1 Like

Just wantedd to add the technical term you’re looking for is a post processing effect, typically attached to the camera as another layer that would be rendered together to create the desired effect. Perhaps you want to, as already suggested, make a feature request for post processing shaders.

3 Likes

The closest thing I can think of to something like this that’d be possible on Roblox would be a combo of using a transparent image label of something like this and a BlurEffect

2 Likes

Hey all, I just want to revisit this because I saw this on twitter… https://x.com/itsskeiiy/status/1707955151263215862?s=46

Was this added to the engine later on? Did I miss an update? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

it probably uses glass since glass distorts the view when you look through it, making it look like this heat haze effect.