How to achieve a "retro", pixelated visual effect

ah, i see. I’ve managed to create my own version anyways. Also are you planning on making any other retro games? like maybe you could remake some 3D games from the early 90s or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Not really, this place was only created as a proof of concept. I wouldn’t mind if people used this technique in their own retro games, though! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s pretty neat ngl, the only thing that feels disorienting is this kind of uncanny-valley effect of having a high resolution UI with the fuzzy background. I love the concept though, and I can’t wait to see it used for atmosphere in different games!

The focus of the post was the 3D world effect. The GUI can be changed to fit whatever purpose the developer sees fit, and it can be switched for something more “retro”. You could even create the UI in the 3D environment and render it the same way!

Could you share the source? I’m struggling to figure it out. :sweat_smile:

Wow! This was the exact same idea I had in this post, but it was too blurry for me, how did you make your not blurry?

EDIT:
Oh I see you didn’t solve this issue, your resolution is just so high it hardly matters. Interesting.

This is going to be very useful for my 2007 styled horror game! Here’s a preview before I add this in! I just hope it works with my grain effect…

8 Likes

Holy cow! This is revolutionary! I’m sure a lot of developers are gonna use this mechanic to replicate pixelated games!

Sadly, Roblox might fix this in the future. :sob: :-1:

1 Like

I don’t know if roblox has changed how view ports work, but it appears that if you want pixelation from the Viewport frames, you will have to accept a lot of blur.

But not to worry! I found an alternative way to pixelate your screen:

9 Likes

I want to make a pixelated full-screen isometric-style game, so I decided to use this and so far, it doesn’t pixelated because it doesn’t seem to actually be getting set to the camera’s position

So I tried putting the SurfaceGui in the StarterGui while having the adornee set to the part. No luck.

Can you help?
Thanks.

note: I tried the method mentioned above, but I wanted a full screen pixelation.

Edit: fixed now

1 Like

I have now uncopylocked Retro Fights on the Heights! Although some elements were broken due to updates, the effect still works. If you use this, credit is appreciated, but not needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did you get pixelation effect?.. its blrury for me.

If you are using viewport frames for this effect, you will get blur as I mentioned here. This pixelation effect that I showed uses raytracing with a lot of frames as pixels.

Wait so you need a rtx card for this to work?

No. Currently the roblox engine doesn’t allow you to access the GPU for scripts. This is all CPU processing in a local script in a GUI

1 Like

I been trying to get something like this for awhile how do i get it to work?

Read the thread about the Pixelator that I provied. It should tell you all about it

Do you think you can make the place downloadable for one second so i can get it?

If not it’s fine

You can already access the place. It’s uncopylocked