How to Add Curves and more with the use of spheres and cylinders!

Today we’re going to be showing how to use spheres, cylinders and negates for even better use! Here’s a few things you might be able to do after this tutorial:

Anyways, let’s get into it!

Cylinder Curve With Spheres

Spheres can be used for a football obviously but they can also be used for cylinder curves! You could make a stair-case out of this and it’s pretty simple too!

STEP 1

First get a sphere and size it to however you like, here’s mine:

STEP 2

Then you duplicate it by either right clicking and clicking duplicate or press the keys D + CTRL.

STEP 3

Then you move the duplicate half-way through the sphere:

STEP 4

After that, you turn the duplicate into a negate by going to the menu and clicking model, right clicking and clicking negate or pressing the keys CTRL + SHIFT + N.

STEP 5

Next, you select both of the parts and union them by going into model in the menu, right clicking and clicking Union or pressing the keys CTRL + SHIFT + G.

It should look something like this:

STEP 6

Next get your cylinder, here’s mine:

STEP 7

Then get your sphere and move it to the end of cylinder:

STEP 8

If you notice the sphere or cylinder is a little too big you could size them, here my sphere is too big so I sized my cylinder to this size:

STEP 9

Then simply duplicate your cylinder and rotate it using CTRL+R:

STEP 10

Move it to this position:

And wallah! You just made a curve in a cylinder and it only took ten steps!

Part Curve With Cylinders

For a part curve, all you need to do is this:

STEP 1

Get a cylinder, duplicate it and move the duplicate half way through the cylinder:

STEP 2

Next, negate the duplicate:

STEP 3

Union both of the parts together:

STEP 4

Get your other part and position your union at any end of the part:

STEP 5

Simply correct the sizes if the sizes aren’t accurate or correct.

STEP 6

Duplicate your part and press CTRL + R on your keyboard and position it to this position of the union:

STEP 7

If the position isn’t correct, try jabbing the union in or messing about with the sides:

And wallah! You could make a racing track out of this and the best thing is, it only took 7 steps!

Roundify ends of parts with cylinders

Now, do you want to make a lolly-pop stick? Well, this tutorial will explain that!

STEP 1

Make a cylinder:

STEP 2

Select your part and make the cylinder size of the end of the part:

STEP 3

Put the cylinder at an end of the part:

STEP 4

Finally, duplicate the cylinder onto the other end of the part:

Wow, only 4 steps! That’s crazy!

Finally, we’re finished with this! If you have any criticism/feedback, please state it in the replies, anyways we’re finished!

7 Likes

Thanks for this! It will really be useful.

1 Like

No problem! Thanks for your feedback!

It looks far more than obvious that this isn’t curved. The cylinder is POKING OUT. You also don’t have to negate it either. You can gather 2 parts and put it in the corner and move it around until it gets in the right spot without issues.

3 Likes

I dont see any problems and also the negating was to prevent Z-fighting. If you dont negate it, you will see z-fighting and clipping.

I just did my method, worked fine. You won’t see clipping if you properly do it.

You might not see it right away but soon it will cause problems, could you possibly show me a video of your curve so I can observe some stuff? If I don’t observe Z-fighting then I’ll modify my steps, if I do, well I’ll leave my steps as it is.

This is a good and well written resource, however, you should refrain from using unions/negates because of how it adds an excessive number of triangles to the resulting part and to avoid possible union corruption.

Not only this but the unions I believe are with some imperfections in your examples and aren’t making the most precise looking curves.

(first example applies to first tutorial, second example applies to second tutorial)

See, there is a much simpler way of going about this using parts, spheres, and cylinders instead of unions. This is beneficial for your game’s performance since there are less triangles in the workspace and less chances of union corruption. Z-fighting may appear, although, so alternatively you could use meshes to make the curves; though that’s offtopic.

You may be thinking, “but if I union the parts they wont Z-fight anymore”. You can export selections as meshes by selecting your parts, then in the explorer, right click and find “Export Selection”. It will export it as an OBJ where you can further import into Studio via a MeshPart.

It’s a well wrote resource, I’ll give you that, but you may want to improve on the practices here. We all are continuing to learn something new in the world of building, so don’t feel embarrassed.

2 Likes

So unions were completely unnesscerary, thanks a lot for that motivation too!