How to add retextured packages from R6 to R15

I have a couple of retextured packages (they are just found in the library, etc. so not mine)

However, they are retextured for R6 characters. But since R15 doesn’t use CharacterMeshes and each part has it’s own TextureID, how can I convert these retextures to work with R15?

1 Like

Do you have an example of the R6 and R15 texture variant?

Well I have an R6 copy of the retextured package

Then then actual R15 package, but with the default texture

Studio isn’t my forte, so i don’t exactly know what CharacterMeshes are and how it affects textures. However, if the R6 package uses the same texture but in a different color, and if
the UV map has the same layout, shouldn’t you be able to apply the ID from one model on the other?

Not entirely sure what a UV map is (never touched photoshop or really any photo editing software)

But since R15 uses MeshParts, each part of the character has it’s own individual texture. While R6 say has a LeftLeg texture, R15 has a texture for the foot, LowerLeg and UpperLeg (3 separate texture files)

If the LowerLeg and Upperleg are the same as the LeftLeg texture, i don’t think there would be any issues when applying the texture to them.

It could be possible that Roblox remapped and rebaked the UV texture when converting it to R15, in which case the R6 texture would no longer be compatible. However, if the UV is unchanged, old textures should work.

I’m not sure if there’s an easy way to do this.

With R6, everything is one big texture, as seen here:

However, with R16, everything is split up into 3 different textures (sometimes more, depending on the bundle);

Hidden so my reply isn't so big

d64edafa14ec95f8124190ab4427cb33
81988b0c54f2eab013c5c4c9a97ae6bd
0dc9daf39eb974aa8299207c065c6b21

As you mentioned, in R15, it does have 3 separate texture files for foot, LowerLeg, and UpperLeg, but from what I’ve seen, the texture is identical. In most cases, the left/right arm and the left/right leg textures are identical as well.

I don’t think there’s an automated process to do this, but I could be wrong. Since you only have to do 3 textures with the case of this bundle, it might be easier to just redo the texture.

I don’t know if discourse compressed the images or anything, but the files I used were the raw images if that helps.

Most (but not all) R6 package textures follow the same UV as their R15 versions, just the R15 version is more segmented. So the R6 package OverlayTextureId usually (but not always) can be applied to the MeshParts that are applicable (the LeftArm R6 package texture would be applied to all of the Left Arm R15 pieces - hand, lower arm, upper arm).

EDIT: Just tried this out with the Iron Armor package, and they are in fact following different textures with different UVs (here’s the Left Arm of the R6 texture, here’s the Left Arm of the R15 texture). So you have no choice but to use the R15 textures, as the R6 textures are entirely different as far as the mesh and UV data goes. Below still applies:

So for your case, try it out and see if it matches up. If you’re unlucky and the textures are different between the two packages, you’re likely going to have to change it from the texture used by the R15 package since that will definitely follow the UV of the R15 package. Looking at your pictures provided, it looks to be just a matter of changing the colour values, which is easy enough.

1 Like