How to add shadows to an HDRI in Blender for GFX renders?

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I need to add character shadows to my HDRI in Blender, to make it look like my character isn’t just floating…

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    I have no idea how you would add shadows to an HDRI. I know how to make visible shadows on objects such as a plane but I have no idea how I would get a shadow onto an HDRI.

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I tried looking around for tutorials but found none, so I am asking here.

1 Like

i dont really know why but add a ambient effect in eevee and make the strength high it adds some shading

do you know how would i do that?

Cool method if you’re looking to make it seem like the avatar is in the environment but don’t want to model an environment.

2 Likes

i know this is not helping you at all and completely off topic, but are you even allowed to ask questions about blender here?

If it’s related to Roblox in some way, yes.

I’d use a shadow catcher.

Instructions:
Add a plane at the bottom of your rig
(S key) scale it out decently far
Press the orange box while selected the plane (inspector box)
Scroll down, open the visibility tab
Enable shadow catcher

After that, once you render it should have something like this:

It should have a shadow effect at the bottom reflecting from the HDRI natural light or light youve created.

4 Likes

Use cycles, if your using eevee you have to either bake cube maps or just add a sun lamp that matches the hdri or a combination of both. There’s a bunch of videos on youtube. Here’s a video you can use.

Another thing, developer hub isn’t for blender it’s for roblox there’s a site call blender artists forums for blender related discussion so if you looking for answers more deeply in blender you can ask there.