How to animate custom models?

Hi,

Reading through the wiki I found that you can run animation on custom models using AnimationController (instead of Humanoid). The problem is that I do not know how to create such animations since the animation plugin does not work as expected. I have used the animation plugin to create a lot of character animations but it does not work for custom models with AnimationController.

So to reiterate the question:

• What do you use to animate custom models (different from characters)?

Thanks,
Redridge

5 Likes

Is what you mean like animating tools/or weapons?

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

I am less interested in weapons and more interested in creatures. For example how can I animate a caterpillar or a butterfly?

1 Like

I don’t think there is a way to animate things without humanoids YET, but you can try CFrame, Vector3, or BodyGyro.

Example:

while true do
for i=1,20 do
script.Parent.CFrame = script.Parent.CFrame + Vector3.new(0.1,0,0)
wait(0.1)
end
for i=1,31 do
script.Parent.CFrame = script.Parent.CFrame * CFrame.fromEulerAnglesXYZ(0,0.1,0)
wait(0.01)
end
for i=1,20 do
script.Parent.CFrame = script.Parent.CFrame - Vector3.new(0.1,0,0)
wait(0.1)
end
for i=1,31 do
script.Parent.CFrame = script.Parent.CFrame * CFrame.fromEulerAnglesXYZ(0,-0.1,0)
wait(0.01)
			end
	end

3 Likes

You can rig it up, animate it using your favorite animation edtior in Roblox Studio, and then use an AnimationController, which is basically a replacement to a Humanoid for non-Humanoid objects.

4 Likes

Yes this is what I want. Could you please elaborate on “rig it up”? What does that exactly mean?

1 Like

A rig is something that defines the joints on an object while holding it together at the same time. An example of something like this could be R15, which has 15 joints (hence the name), and R6 obviously has 6 joints.

Rigging up would require a custom animation plugin to make it easy to do. I personally prefer using DaMrNelson’s Character Creator as it is a simple and easy to use tool, which has plenty of help resources on the wiki.

Once you’ve rigged it up, you just have to select the model you want to animate (remember to assign a root or primarypart or whatever), then edit it from there. Upload to roblox and use an AnimationController to make the model exhibit the animation.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else!

7 Likes

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

2 Likes

Hi, I just checked and it seems that regardless of the model that I want to animate it must contain the humanoid parts (rightarm, leftarm, etc). Also I cannot have more than those parts to animate. Is it really not possible to do it for any random model? I want to animate creatures (birds, dragons, etc) and objects (flags, gears, etc) but with this way I can only animate humans or human-like objects. I can trick it to believe it is an actual Humanoid but this seems like a very poor workaround.

1 Like

Here’s how my rigs are made:

This is a beetle, this beetle is both rigged/animated - and I place them around some of my maps, to create NPC creatures.

Every single rig must contain a HumanoidRootPart, Torso, Head, and Humanoid. Without these parts, the rig won’t work - to create custom character rigs (not your default blocky character or Rthro), I’d suggest making the physical “Torso” and “Head” of your animal named “Torso1” and “Head1”, rather than Torso, as this may create clipping issues. By default, the Head and Torso parts are automatically set to cancollide. You can create the “Torso” and “Head” by simply creating them as blocks, and welding to the HumanoidRootPart. Also, in my rigs, I make the HumanoidRootPart as a simple block, but remember to make the “Top” and “Front” sides of that block where you want them to be, or your rig might spawn in sideways. After you have your rig built, and named all the parts (name every single part rigged different than one another), open [SEMI-BROKEN] Character Creator - Roblox and rig your character. Start from the HumanoidRootPart, and make your way around the rig. Remember to rig bind the Torso1 to HumanoidRootPart. You do not need to make it contain humanoid parts, other than Torso and Head. Forgot to mention, the “Torso” and “Head” parts aren’t shown in this image, but they’re there.

17 Likes

Yes there is. It’s called an AnimationController. Make sure that you fact check before providing a response

8 Likes

does it support animated mesh deformations / skin animation / vertex skinning? or just simple translations, rotations and so on?