How To Change a Decal's Texture using Developer Console

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want to change a decal’s texture using the Developer Console (for example: changing this decal texture to that decal texture using IDs or similar)

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    I don’t know much about scripting and a lot of it is beyond confusing for me. I want to quickly insert a script to change a decal on a TV screen behind me while I’m recording using the Dev Console.

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    The only DevForum post I could find was for changing of decals using a script.

My company does recordings for videos called “GCNews Roblox News Recap” in a specific experience. While there’s a background image already set on the screen behind me, I need it to change at a specific time when I start speaking about a topic in-game. The easiest option I’ve found is changing the decal on the screen itself using the Dev Console. I’ve seen others do it in the past, but I’ve never found how they do it.
I’m really under-experienced with scripting, is anyone able to help me?

Thanks!

workspace.[pathtoyourdecal].Decal.Texture = “rbxasset://YOUR_IMAGE_ID”

Also I’d like to note that a lot of time when textures are first added they flicker a little bit before they load in. It may be better to already have your part loaded somewhere in the workspace, and then swap positions of the two billboards when you want

1 Like

You can use the following script to change the texture of a decal:

local decal = game.Workspace.Decal
decal.Texture = "rbxassetid://12345"

You can find the asset ID of a decal by clicking on it in the Studio Explorer and looking at the URL in the Properties window.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.