How to code a rhythm game (official)

Hey all.

I was looking into possibly developing my own rhythm game on Roblox, sorta like RoBeats, but with some different songs and free mods. I am new to the Devforum (this is my second post here), and I know the basics of Lua (I did write a crude lobby system for Unbroken Games’ Race to the Finish), but I would like to really start off good with a nice rhythm game. I know that each part needs to keep checking the time in milliseconds (so it can be compatible with osu! mapping) and that each Part needs to be instantiated with a script. I don’t need to code an engine as advanced as RoBeats, but I do want it to be good. Do any of you guys have a specific tutorial or can give a specific tutorial? Thanks for the help.

4 Likes

If you only know the “basics of Lua”. I’d personally advise against pursuing things like this.
The thing you should instead do is work on improving your skill over time before trying such advanced things.

4 Likes

Good idea. Heard this a lot.

Agreed. Besides studying Lua and how the RBX.Lua API works, I would recommend creating a few simple games first so you can get the hang of things. When you make a big game, you want to have a good understanding of the process of making games which can be gained through making smaller games first.

5 Likes

Good advice. I am working on a round based obby with my brother.

1 Like

Good ambition, but not the place to start. Almost 8 years under my belt and I can’t even code some simple proof of concept games (or rather I’m not dedicated enough to push myself to do it).

Rhythm games are extremely complicated and hard to get the hang of. There’s a lot of nuances and functionality that you need to account for. I got to see a bit of Robeats code from some open source mapping kit and I had quite a difficult time following (mostly because I only skimmed it once).

Here’s an image of the beat mapping kit code object hierachy (not sure if this is the most recent one, just scooped this off the toolbox):

A new coder may look at this and instantly generate a ton of questions. Mostly x-y questions. I don’t even have to open the scripts, this itself creates questions.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts