How to create a first person POV mini cutscene

Want scenes like this?

Prerequisites :warning:

First create a camera in blender and make sure it’s facing in the forward direction, in blender this is the Y axis (yes weird ik), like so

After this go into the camera view by pressing the film camera icon., this will make it easier for you to manipulate the camera and like just where its looking that sort of thing

Since you can’t really tell since were at the origin point of the world, move up the camera a bit so that you can see the grid

But now were going to have a problem since we just added an offset on the Z axis that will translate to our animation which we don’t want so Blender has this awesome trick where you can apply location to deltas which basically this will make the cameras origin become where its currently at!

So press CTRL + A and then hit locations to deltas make sure you have the camera selected

After you hit this you should see the Location reset to 0,0,0 which means you did it correctly great job!

So now, at this point you can animate the camera however you want within the frame range you want, after your done with this you’re going to want to export the animation you can uncheck the scale property

After this hop into studio and paste the animation data that’s in your clipboard, it should give you a folder called UntitledObjectAnimation, after this comes ths tiny bit of scripting setup with the ObjectAnimation module!

So the setup is pretty simple your just going to want to pass in usually the head if its for a first person scene but in the case for when the player woke up I made it the pillow, then of course for the part your animating make sure it’s the CurrentCamera, also the module doesnt set the camera type to scriptable for you so youll have to do that yourself

Hopefully, you learned something and use this in some of your games! If you have any questions ask them in the replies!

3 Likes

Man, it would be awesome if Roblox implemented a simpler way to do this natively. I tried Blender a few years ago, and I was never able to get the hang of it. Awesome tutorial though.

2 Likes

Very nice, very well explained. Thank you for sharing this is interesting! :+1:

2 Likes