How to create a hosting board?

Hello,

So I am creating this RP theatre group and I need to have this “hosting board” where you can get added onto the hosting waiting list and it goes down the list while the server is up. How could I do this? I was wondering could I use a table and put the people usernames who click it into the table and do it that way or would there be a better way you suggest.

1 Like

I can’t tell by your description if your need requires a DataStore or not (saving the reservation list in case the server shuts down after all players leave)
If it does need to save that information, I would recommend using an Ordered Data Store

and when adding a player to the “list”, just use their name or UserId as the key, and os.time() as the value and you’ll have a nice list in the order of when players were added to it.

If it doesn’t have to be saved, a simple lua table {} in a normal Script or ModuleScript can keep track of your data.

local reservationData = {}

local function addToList(player)
   table.insert(reservationData, player)  --inserts player at the end of the reservation data list
end

local function getNextInList(player)
    return table.remove(reservationData, 1)  --if there is at least 1 item in list, this will remove it and return it, otherwise it will return nil
end

local function printList()
    for i,player in pairs(reservationData) do
     print("#"..tostring(i).."\t"..player.Name)
   end
end

It only needs to be for that one server so no does not need to use DataStore. Yea that is what I thought with the table I was just unsure if there was a better way to do this.

There’s always a better way to do something in scripting. I suggest you follow the steps you got right now, keep continuing to find the most efficient code, and there you go.